Sign in to follow this  

Mid-range power issues on new drz?

I recenty bought an 07 sm with 3k miles, love the bike! Bottom end is fine power wise but it seems like mid to top end it's kind of stuttering, I don't know how to describe it but the power isn't smooth.

All it has is a Leo Vince pipe, all other engine related components appear to be stock. The previous owner hasn't been riding it much latley. It's got plenty of power but I feel like something's off, when I hold the throttle steady say around 70-75, or when accelerating hard in any gear, it seems to "stutter" a very small about but enough to notice.

Does the carb need to be adjusted/ cleaned? I've ran some Sea Foam in the gas but it hasn't helped.

Any help is appreaciated, carbs are new to me I'm lost as what to do to fix this problem. And I can't hear the hesitation in the exhaust, it always sounds consistent

It's most likely running a bit lean....Take you air box side cover off and go for a ride under the same throttle setting as when you where having problems...

If it runs worse , that will confirm your lean running...

Installation of a JD jet kit should correct your jetting...

Do the 3x3 when you install a jet kit...This video is a good guide to follow doing the suggested mods...

The following is the recommended jetting for the JD Kit ,3x3 mod and open pipe

You want a JD005 kit..http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_jdjetting_jetkit.htm

And an extended fuel screw makes adjustment easier..http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_kientech_drzsfms.htm

#160 main jet

jd blue

clip 4

22.5 pilot jet with extended screw or 25 pilot jet with stock screw

2.75 turns

Did the 3x3 with James Dean jetting kit following the recommended settings for an exhaust and she runs perfect now! Well almost....

Sometimes at idel if I open the throttle all the way it'll stall, I'm going to try opening the fuel screw a bit more

Did the 3x3 with James Dean jetting kit following the recommended settings for an exhaust and she runs perfect now! Well almost....

Sometimes at idel if I open the throttle all the way it'll stall, I'm going to try opening the fuel screw a bit more

you should be around 2.75 turns out on the stock fuel screw..

main jet...155

pilot...25

blue jd needle 4th clip from top

????

It said with an exhaust (Leo Vince, came with the bike) use 160 main

pilot 25

Blue JD 3rd clip, recommended.

2.5 turns out

What would lowering the clip to the 4th slot do? And the 155vs 160?

BTW I'm at sea level in Huntington Beach, temps are around 70 never over 85 degrees

Thanks for the help!

Normal for bogging at idle with WOT...

If it's running good on Clip #3 you would leave it as is....

Going to clip #4 will richen the fuel mix in the mid throttle settings ...

The Main jet controls your fuel mix at WOT...155 is leaner/smaller than 160mj...