Sign in to follow this  

Clutch basket rattle

After thinking i got rid of the rattle from my clutch basket it's back. Shimed the springs in the back of the basket, set the clutch up on the clutch lever so that all the clutch plates were under tension. Then went out for a ride the day and had to reset up the biting point on the clutch lever. Before it was biting at the very end of the lever being released. I prefer it to bite about half way.

When im going over rough ground at low speed the clutch basket rattles something terrible, even when the bikes ideling you can hear it rattle but it goes away when the clutch is pulled in.

The only thing that ive seen is there's brown marks on some of the steel plates in the clutch. All most look's like heat marks is the only way i can describe them.

Im getting a bit tyred of this problem :bonk:

No idea how many miles the bike has done, When i had the clutch set up with no rattles there was no free play on the clutch lever.

I think i know what your going to say, that with no free play on the lever that it was still ingaging the clutch so no noise from it.

That's what i thought my self thats why i adjusted the clutch to bite half way on the lever.

I've been reading and it looks like some aftermarket clutches have you toss out the anti-rattle wave washer. Have you still got that? Perhaps you should have a mechanic look at the basket/discs and see what he thinks. Otherwise, you could buy a new aftermarket basket and see how that goes.

You need freeplay or you will cook your clutch.

What is your idle RPM? It'll rattle if it's too low.

Steve