Sign in to follow this  

1996 RM 250 - Looking to Purchase !

Merry Christmas to All !

Here's the skinny......just sold a few bikes over the last couple of weeks:

1982 KDX175 - Sold 2 days ago (bought dirt cheap and sold for profit)

1989 KDX200 - Sold 2 weeks ago (bought dirt cheap and sold for profit)

1990 XR250r - Sold Christmas Eve (bought dirt cheap and big profit)

Just bought a 1991 KX250 late last week, dirt cheap and almost sold yesterday for big profit.

Now....I have a 96 RM250, completely rebuilt top and bottom (receipts available)...new water pump seals, etc.. Seller wants $1000 after negotiating down from about $1300...plus he is throwing in a lot of riding gear. Originally he advertised the bike as a 1998 and after having him confirm the VIN.....low and behold the bike is a 1996. I feel comfortable in the seller's mistake and the bikes condition, so I am looking for advice on this 1996 Suzuki RM250.

What is weird is my neighbor just bought a 1990 RM250 which was advertised as a 1998.....he is pissed, but the bike is rather nice and actually spanked my 1991 KX250 (freshly rebuilt) the other day, which is why I am going yellow!

What is good and bad about this bike?

Going to take a look and drive tomorrow...just need a little advice on what to look out for, besides internals which should check out with recent receipts.

What is a typical charge to rebuild top and bottom?

Do other owners take off that plastic shield on the front disk? For some reason I don't like that look?

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x274/kenthompsonhome/RM2.jpg[/img]"]RM2.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x274/kenthompsonhome/rm3.jpg[/img]"]rm3.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x274/kenthompsonhome/rm250.jpg[/img]"]rm250.jpg

The only real problem with the '96 to 2000 generation RM's were that they used an internal water pump, as opposed to having it in just the main clutch cover. With the pump inside the motor if the seal went out you had to split the cases to change it ~ for me that's not a big deal but others didn't like it. This design also leads to a different sounding engine, sort of a "whirrling" sound, not a big deal.

So really the only thing you need to watch for is the trans oil looking like chocolate milk that's a sign that the water pump seal is leaking and coolant is getting into the trans.

Beyond that it's just basic used bike stuff, things like: brakes, bearings, chain & sprocket, how well does it start & shift, and is the suspension leaking or rusted. And just for the fun of it have the owner pull the seat so you can look at the air filter, that will tell you how well the current owner maintained this bike (that and the chain & sprocket condition).

As for the front brake cover if you ride in rocky conditions consider keeping on as it will protect the disk. I personally ride in mostly sandy or muddy conditions so I always pull them off, that makes it easier to keep it (the front brake area) clean.

Thanks Zig....spot on for the water seals and that was the first question I asked. The seller was well aware of the internal h20 pump seals and were replaced while rebuilding bottom end by professional. The curren seller is a tradesman, with family and broke his hand so his wife said sell it.

I believe it is quite the deal at $1000, comes with all the riding gear, 2 sets of boots and he is throwing in a 82 CR250 fixer upper.

Thanks Zig....spot on for the water seals and that was the first question I asked. The seller was well aware of the internal h20 pump seals and were replaced while rebuilding bottom end by professional. The curren seller is a tradesman, with family and broke his hand so his wife said sell it.

I believe it is quite the deal at $1000, comes with all the riding gear, 2 sets of boots and he is throwing in a 82 CR250 fixer upper.

Three words: Buy-it-now

It sounds like you can't lose.

Going to take a look and drive tomorrow...just need a little advice on what to look out for, besides internals which should check out with recent receipts.

What is a typical charge to rebuild top and bottom?

Do other owners take off that plastic shield on the front disk? For some reason I don't like that look?

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x274/kenthompsonhome/RM2.jpg[/img]"]RM2.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x274/kenthompsonhome/rm3.jpg[/img]"]rm3.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x274/kenthompsonhome/rm250.jpg[/img]"]rm250.jpg

bike looks clean... go crazy man, you will love it. and Zig already filled you in on the internal WP crap, thats a minor problem in the larger scheme of things :bonk:

Edit: the biggest thing that gives it away as a '96 is the large amount of fork that sticks passed the axle blocks :smirk:

LOL....yep, the seller knows it a steal too, but his wife is calling the shots....ha ha...just like in my house....whaaaa.

My wife is kind of cool about me buying and selling bikes, keeps asking me where all the money is.....tell her don't worry, I'm not going to the bank for money for my bike deals....just trading up, buying bikes low, selling more than I buy them for...

Told her my biggest problem was spending more time looking for tools everytime I work on them....you all know what I mean, unless you are organized....where's my 10mm open ended wrench....finally find it in our kitchen junk drawer...there's 10 minutes of wasted time looking for tools......and for Christmas my wife gets me a 255 piece Craftsman tool box....sweet ! !

Going to have the RM back later today, just before I have 2 guys coming to check out the KX

If everything is clean and unbutchered and receipts available, then I would say do it ( if you like the bike). I have a 96 (and almost two complete spares)that I love. The water pump set-up is internal, but seems to be a good design and I havent had any problems yet. My bike sat under a tarp in a backyard for four years before I bought it and I then rode it for two before rebuilding completely. The suspension is awesome for any type of riding, and the motor is strong. I have a Keihin a/x carb, and a Steahly 12 oz. fww. with boyesen reeds and my bike is a great woods machine. The original PJ carbs are fine, but are not designed to idle very well.:bonk: Give me a shout if you have any Qs.