Sign in to follow this  

honda 82 XL500 r hard starting

hello im new on this forum , i have bought a 82 XL 500 R the pervouis owner put a new timing chain on but it wouldnt start so sold it to me ,i pulled the valve cover off and the timing was off two teeth, i set the timing correctly as per manual .The tank was full of old nasty grud and the petcock was missing so i rigged up a bottle of gas to the carb and tried to kick it i would say one HUNDRED times before we even got a Cough out of it, so we pulled the carb and took the accelarator pump out it wasnt pumping gas and seamed hard so i soften it with vasaline and it become soft ( i didnt have a spare acellrator pump handy) we clean the carb out and reinstalled it and it does pump but the return spring for the pump seams alittle loose and its not moving the pump all that much , i replaced that spring with another and it seams to work ( pump gas) i cleaned out the tank its now spottless replaced the petcock new gas and it still very hard to start it takes about 30 kicks when it starts it seams to run fine but if i shut it off it might take a few kicks to start again , after it cools off (next morning) same thing very hard to start i should note i does rev high at idle and i cant seam to lower the RPM anymore and it does have a hesitation any ideas anyone! carb? elec? anytesting?

Welcome::See below.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=185336&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1982&fveh=4182

Locate a complete new one of part# 5,,11,,and possibly the pump diaphram #7..Some of them say discontinued,,Have a hunt around and see if you can locate an aftermarket kit,,I think they still exist,,If they do they will go under the name "Keyster" and be half or quarter the price Honda try to charge..Might even be able to locate you the parts needed from a joker down here if you can't find them in the US..,Of course make sure all holes on the jets and other tubes associated with the jets are clean,,Check all holes that are on the sides of the Pilot and on the sides of the emulsion tube the main jet screws into.,(Use a strand from a wire brush for that job),.,Also obviously clean the main and pilots central holes and blow each circuit out with compressed air.,.Spray a bit of Ether (engine start) around the carb as the bike idles to also check for airleaks,, A change in tone of the motor as you spray the ether about the carb intake will indicate an airleak,,Obviously get a new Spark plug for it and maybe get the Stator re'cod as well..,

And a ps,,Forget the slagging Keyster kits get,,they may not be perfect but beggars can't be choosers..I used one in my 89 XR600,,nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell.,

Edited by Horri

hey thanks for the replies guys funny how the first 2 replies i get are from a KIWI and a Aussie i was born in Melbourne , Victoria but been living in the states for 12 years i cant believe how hard it is to find bike parts on this side of the country not like In Aussie ! im gonna pull the carb off and send it off to a carb rebuilder in Canada seams to know his stuff ,i did try starting it today and it started first kick ive also notice that it heats the front mud gaurd up pretty good to the point its gonna melt !! also notice that it rev high and i cant back the carb off anymore !!!!