Sign in to follow this  

Bushings?

I will be replacing the seals this winter on my 91 yz and didnt know how often bushings should be replaced. I figured if i had it all apart i might as well do it, however ive never worked on forks, so i dont want to get too deep. Im assuming if its never been done i should replace them, correct? Is that the concensus with those that have done it? Thx and merry christmas.

I would definitely recommend changing the bushings while you are already in there...especially if it's been a while since they have been serviced.

Thx i found a thread that i must have missed before that said factory recommends bushings every seal change. Without starting a great debate equal to oil change and top end rebuild frequency, does that sound about right? Im guessing like everything else on this bike these are 20 years old as well.

One of the reasons why it is recommended to replace the bushings when replacing the seals is that the bushings usually get damaged where the teflon coating on them get messed up. The bushings also get worn down from general use which translates into play in the suspension which can lead to wear and damage of your internals.

You can heat the forks up right around where the bushings are to expand the upper fork tube to where they pull apart easier.