Sign in to follow this  

05 Rmz450 valve adj.

I just picked up the rmz and I checked my valves and there no adjustment left. How often do you guys have to adj the valves and should I go with oem, wiseco ti or kibble white stainless?

What do you mean when you mean there is no adjustment left, I check mine about every two to three months and have found very little adjustment was needed once they were done right.

I think that will mean the valve seats are pulling into the head, if so its time to pull the head off and get the valves replaced and reseated.

Jason, I have never had to replace the valves but I am sure there will many members on this site that have and will know who does good work.

i reccommend going oem...i have run steel and dont personally like them....you have to run a heavier duty spring also and i dont like the extra load that is put on the valve train..many have had good results with steel though.

I've got an 05 also, and replaced the valves with Kibblewhite stainless. Since replacing last year, I haven't had to make any adjustments. Just one thing to look at, it's not a bad idea to have the seats cut when replacing the valves, especially on a 6 year old bike if this is the first valve replacement. You can get it done for $100-$150 and it will help your new valves to have a long and happy life.

Had my "05" done by Charlie last year. Watch his videos and he'll explain why non-beryllium is better than beryllium valve seats. He also does not cut the valve seats. He CNC profiles them. He uses top grade materials and did excellent work on my head. I also had him port the head which improved top end without hurting the low end as some port jobs do. If you change over to steel valves you will have to replace your valve springs with stiffer ones because they are heavier. The added weight of the steel valves and springs will reduce the longevity of your head. I feel there's nothing wrong with OEM.

Also in my opinion he is very affordable and had my head back to me completey assembled and valve clearances set within two weeks which included shipping time. He also answers his emails and if not actually machining answers the phone!

http://www.pro1racingheads.com/Pro-1_Conversion.html