Sign in to follow this  

gray oil & other stuff

Last time out on my '03 it coolant got really hot & trans started to make alot of noise, so I shut it down. After it cooled down checked coolant it was very low, trans oil was almost gone & black. Changed oil on both sides & new coolant went on a ride & all was good. yesterday I changed the oil & filter again and noticed the oil on both sides was gray. After filling oil I started it rode 1/2 half block, checked level & oil was gray agian, change the oil again let clean oil run through, filled it, started it & instantly it turned gray. I don't know if water is getting in, if the two sides are mixing or what.

I can understand grey out of the trans, but there shouldnt be any grey coming out of the engine side.

The gray is usually aluminum in the oil, that can come off the clutch plates when you slip it. It then settles in the cases and will drain out for what seems like forever.

There isnt anything in the engine side that should produce any gray material unless you've got a bearing that seized and eating the boss its in or the cylinder and piston are killing each other

Are you draining the oils one at a time or pulling both plugs and letting them mix when they come out?

If you had coolant in the oil, it comes out milk shake brown and foamy usually, not gray. Oil turns black from temps, not dirt really.

If your trans oil was almost gone, that indicates it was going somewhere. Either out the breather or into the motor.

I've severely overheated my 450 before and my trans oil still was not black. Most of the black-ness in oil comes from cleaning the carbon off the cylinder walls. Of course it will eventually start to break down and naturally turn black - but you'd have to try hard to do that to the trans oil in a 450.

I'd say you have a blown seal between the engine and transmission, and they're swapping oil.

That's what I'm afraid of. I have only ridin it 4 times after a complete rebuild.

Being an 03 it's not really worth the money to break it down again unless I go for it.

If youve drained all the oil and filled it back up, ya gotta just ride it for about an hour and then recheck.

Drain the engine only and check what amount you get out. Then drain the trans and verify that amount vs what you put in and look at the color and consistency. There really isnt a different way to do it.

if it is the crank seal on the Right side, its not the end of the world.

That's what I'm afraid of. I have only ridin it 4 times after a complete rebuild.

Being an 03 it's not really worth the money to break it down again unless I go for it.

Do you do engine work yourself? The seal is only like $5.

I went out this weekend, I had oil levels correct went for a 1/2 hour ride checked levels engine side had sight glass at 1/2 when I got back it was full, trans side took 10 oz.

The right hand (throttle side) internal crank seal is leaking for whatever reason. Its a fairly easy fix.

Before you yank that seal out, look at it and see if its moved or cocked over sideways in its bore. That seal doesn't have a ledge to sit against. When you set the new seal, it needs some loctite seal set compound on it.

Seal #19

2373_CRANKCASE.gif

Gasket #5 and it probably wouldn't hurt to put new water pump seals (both, inner and outer) in it too.

2373_RIGHT%20CRANKCASE%20COVER.gif