Sign in to follow this  

98 rm125 problems

Alright so i got this bike a few weeks ago in the understanding that it needed a new stator. It wasn't getting any spark, so i got a new stator and ignition from an 00'. Carb cdi coil flywheel everything. Put it all back on. Drained the gas, changed the oil, drained the coolant put new in. Then cleaned out the carb went completely through it with carb cleaner. Went to start it and it started right up and idle's great...however as soon as i even think about hitting the gas it starts bogging out really bad and then dies. even in the slightest bit of throttle it starts bogging, but yet idles fine?

So i took the motor out of the frame and cleaned out and re-adjusted the powervalve (noticed that the actuator arm wouldn't return when i pulled the valve open), put the motor back in and started it up again...idle's great..soon as i give it gas bogs and wants to die.

Any idea's what i should try doing next? crank seals? more jetting? I put a new plug in it and still does the same exact thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

oh btw i have both the 98 and 00 carbs, i'm currently running the 00 with a 168 main and 45 pilot, i also have a 50 pilot as well, also has new vforce reeds

how is compression?

timing off a little?

bog tends to mean lean....not getting enough fuel? Can you put the old carb back in? Richen up the mix and see what happens?

Your float level may be too low and you are sucking up air off idle? Check your petcock and make sure you are getting good fuel into the carb.....

If the plug is wet, try getting one or two sizes smaller main jet. Read the sticky at the top on FAQ for jetting. It will help sort things out.

I have had a problem like this with an rm 80, Turned out the the wiring was broken and when under load would breakdown. A good way to check is to carry out a continuity test using a multimeter. There is the old rule, (FFACT), fire,fuel,air, compression timing. I have always found it better to check electrical when replacing electrical. Also 98 - 00 not sure if there is a difference here. Wet oily plug lends to rich fuel prob or compression.

no beuno on anything, gone back through the carb tried leaning it out...nothing tried making it richer...no luck... went through all of the electrical and found nothing that was out of place, and it's still getting good spark. also tried pull starting it and putting another new plug in!

looking for any other suggestions please