Dameged Radiator

Hey folks, just need a little advice :bonk: I was out on a long ride yesterday and damaged the radiator I had to ride on for a bit to get back to near civilisation, the rad will hopefully be a easy fix but just want to know what damage I could of done to the engine and what do I need to check. The radiator was completly empty but the temp only went to around 120. There was a small noise like rattle from the top end but nothing major. Gutted about it as I only had the bike a few weeks and love it. Any advice would be great.

All you have to do is Google your question, and it will pull up all the ThumperTalk threads where people have asked the same question and its been answered.

PS: Yesterday was Christmas where I'm from, so I don't think to many people surfing TT looking for questions to answer. We were all out playing with our new toys:smirk:

All you have to do is Google your question, and it will pull up all the ThumperTalk threads where people have asked the same question and its been answered.

PS: Yesterday was Christmas where I'm from, so I don't think to many people surfing TT looking for questions to answer. We were all out playing with our new toys:smirk:

That simple:thumbsup:

Hey folks, just need a little advice :banana: I was out on a long ride yesterday and damaged the radiator I had to ride on for a bit to get back to near civilisation, the rad will hopefully be a easy fix but just want to know what damage I could of done to the engine and what do I need to check. The radiator was completly empty but the temp only went to around 120. There was a small noise like rattle from the top end but nothing major. Gutted about it as I only had the bike a few weeks and love it. Any advice would be great.

250x rads are notorious for being very soft and easily breakable. I've read of riders in the test mag/shootouts just dropping the bike on a highside and damaging it to the point of having replacing it:ride:. What kind of damage are we talking about here? Post a pic? I'd just buy a new one. I always wanna have a perfect, strong running rad bc I don't want any over heating problems at all!!:bonk: We need to know what were looking at here so we can help you. "Damaged" isn't enough detailed info to tell you what you need to do to fix it:doh: So until you tell us or show us what kind of "damaged" rad you have, your probably not gonna get to much help ?

I used Mylers to fix a damaged radiator. Very happy with their work and much cheaper than a new radiator. Won't know about any other damage until you fix or replace the radiator and start the engine.

Just noticed you are in the UK. Bet shipping back and forth to Mylers would be $$. Probably best to just replace the rad. I know rockymountainmc offers new radiators for $134 each.

I have the rad out and away to get welded, just a small crack bit enought to empty he rad and bottle. I have a after market dash on, think its called vapour? I'll check. Had to ride about a mile or so back. There was coolant in the main bottle and I thought it was ok until I checked last last and he rad was empty. There's a fan on the bike but I think there's a problem with the thermostat. As I said just looking on advice what I need to check when I get the rad sorted. Thanks :bonk:

I there is no coolant on the sensor it will not read correctly. If you only rode it a mile you should be fine.

Repair, refill and keep an eye on the coolant level in the rad and the overflow. If after several rides the rad and tank are full you have no problems. If it is disappearing you have some work to do.

next time that happens, take the spare bypass hose that you have in your tool pouch and bypass the bad radiator. then empty your camelbak into the radiator to get you back. then when you get back, flush out the system to remove any of the residue left by your drink mix.

Cracking idea that and something I'll get sorted. Going to get some rad braces cause I seem to like falling off :bonk: Hopefully get the rad sorted for thursday and get it built back up. Thanks for the advice, I'll post back when I get her running again. Supposed to be out on a local enduro on the 2nd so fingers crossed ?

Cracking idea that and something I'll get sorted. Going to get some rad braces cause I seem to like falling off :bonk: Hopefully get the rad sorted for thursday and get it built back up. Thanks for the advice, I'll post back when I get her running again. Supposed to be out on a local enduro on the 2nd so fingers crossed ?

I second the fix the radiator and fire up the bike to see if it runs fine. Ride it and check for water in the oil.

Rad braces like these

18-175b.jpg

don't offer much protection when you drop the bike on it's side the rad's still get squished.

There are several gds that put a cage around the rads and beef up the side load protection

new450x4tmb.jpg

...Flatland, unibiker are 70-120 bucks. Bulletproof and Mohard are top of the line but cost -200 bucks.

Pictured are the Unibiker... and you can pimp out most of the brands with anodized colors or even custom machined (bulletproof $300) with your name in the grill...if money is no object...

product_6_lg.jpg

I got mine at 169 at Myler's Rad. Spacial offers..."Purchase a set of Bullet Proof Radiator Guards over the phone and receive a price too low to advertise."

• Like 1

Done my first enduro race on Monday, bike ran perfect. Glad there was no damage. Thanks again for the advice.

c841bd74.jpg

Now thats what you call knackered! Lol...you did well out there. Going out again next week or leaving it til the 26th feb Lee??