Sign in to follow this  

Power Washing XR Safe????????

Do any of you have any worries about powerwashing your xr's? I washed my xr4 at the car wash today while the engine was still hot and the sprayer water was cold, is there any chance of cracking anything "such as the head" with the cold water? Any thing else we should worry about with powerspraying????

I usually wait until mine has cooled down to power wash it. I try to keep clear of directly blasting any electrical connections, the carb/intake, and the exhaust tip.

I always power wash after every ride - but the engine is typically cold by the time I get home. Power washing is basically the only way to get most if not all the mud out.

Do any of you have any worries about powerwashing your xr's? I washed my xr4 at the car wash today while the engine was still hot and the sprayer water was cold, is there any chance of cracking anything "such as the head" with the cold water? Any thing else we should worry about with powerspraying????

I doubt it. Surely your engine doesn't crack when you drop the bike into a deep stream crossing.

JayC

I power wash after every ride, be sure the bike has cooled down first. motor won't crack when dropped into a cold stream, but I don't think it likes it either ..

DONT DO IT! YOUR BIKE WILL START ITS SELF, RUN YOU OVER AND 5TH GEAR TAP IT OFF OF THE NEARIST CLIFF OR BRIDGE AND BLOW UP SPRAYING SHRAPNILE ONTO BY-STANDERS AND KILLING ALL OF THEM. THEN MOLTENT PLASTIC WILL INCASE THEIR BODYS AND MOMIFY THEM FOR ETERNITY. THEN THE SPIRITS OF THOUGHS PEOPLE WILL COME ABCK TO HOUNT YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!!nothing will crack. maybe if it was cast iron it would crack. but not case alum. even more so on todays new bikes that have quite a bit of magnisume in the components.

dont blast bearings derectly and put in a butt plug into the exhuast(exhuast plug if you dont have a butt plug handy, or the ol' lady gets pissed if you use her's) and if you have graphics blast the water 90* to them to avoid them peeling off.

Avoid the electrics, bearings, and the chain.

Hit big flat surfaces.

I use the hose that is connected before the pressure regulator. Not as strong as my power washer, but powerful.

Foxtail brushes work great on rims and other surfaces.

horsehair%20brushlg.jpg

I'm not a fan of power washing but I don't get it completely caked in mud very often either. IMO, it makes a bike look old really quick if it's constantly power washed. I just soak it down with a garden hose, spray simple green on areas that are still caked up, let it set for a few then spray it off. The plastic on my XR still looks glossy and nice. The plastic on my KTM (powerwashed by P.O. a lot) looks dull and fuzzy.

I like to do the same Michigan400. But my garden hose is frozen so I rode her up to the car wash. Simple green works good? I haven't really tried anything other than just plain soap so I might give that simple green a try.

I like to do the same Michigan400. But my garden hose is frozen so I rode her up to the car wash. Simple green works good? I haven't really tried anything other than just plain soap so I might give that simple green a try.

Simple green works great for me. Smells good to.

Don't want to start a war here...

But Simple Green is extremely bad for Aluminum. This is a widely know issue in Aerospace.

This is a big enough issue that I understand that the Air Force has banned Simple Green from their bases.

Not an expert but passing on info.

Don't want to start a war here...

But Simple Green is extremely bad for Aluminum. This is a widely know issue in Aerospace.

This is a big enough issue that I understand that the Air Force has banned Simple Green from their bases.

Not an expert but passing on info.

WAARRRRR!!!!! :smirk:

Ha, just kidding. What does it do to aluminum? I've had 1 bottle for about 3 years and havn't noticed any corrosion or anything. Just curious, not saying your wrong or anything. I'm a far cry from an expert myself but that's the 1st I've heard about it.