Sign in to follow this  

Handguards on Pro tapers...Ever have to Hone Out the Bar Ends?

So I have some Pro tapers cut down to 29.5". When trying to mount the handguards, the inserts only go a few inches into the bars then hit a lip(the inside diameter of the bars step down). Is it ok to hone out the bar with a drill just enough for the inserts to fit? Anyone else have this problem?

my cycra handguards fit great in my evo yz high bend. Bit then again i didnt cut mine down like yours

I ran into this same problem a couple months ago. I shortened the clamp instead of increasing the depth of the bore. I was not happy that I had to go through the trouble. From what I could tell this would not have been an issue if I did not cut the bars down. I only cut them down about 1/4" on each end.

I don't think I'll buy Pro-Tapers again because of this.

It seems to be a stupid design. I imagine a bunch of woods riders have run into this problem. I did shorten the insert a bit, but if I make it any shorter it won't work properly. I'm wondering if it will hurt the strength of the bar by honing it out. I'm not hitting any triples, so I would think/hope it will be fine.

I tried drilling out the bar and ended up snapping the drill bit. I'm sure I could have tried again and gone slower but instead I shortened the inserts. This took a little time, because I had to re-taper the inside of the insert with a Dremel but at least I know I didn't weaken my bars at all.

I agree though it's a stupid design for us woods riders.