Sign in to follow this  

Will honing fix this??

I was disassembling my '06 YZ250 for it's first top end done by me, and when I got the cylinder off, everything appeared to be normal upon initial inspection. So I took it outside in the sun for a closer look and I found a bit of a scratch on the cylinder. Here are some pics.. it was pretty tough to get ones, so these are the best I could get.

28b902b.jpg

mc6fex.jpg

zmdssj.jpg

21e7qqo.jpg

And here's one of the piston where I think it caused the score on the cylinder:

dzwj6s.jpg

So based off of these, would I be fine with just getting the cylinder honed, or does it need to be replated? I'd very much appreciate anyone who takes time out of their day to help me out with this :bonk:.

Also, how much is too much in regards to play in the rod?

How deep is the scratch? from the picture it almost looks like that is a little aluminum stuck at the top not a scratch but pics are hard to tell. They do clean up a little with a light hone if its really light.

sh*t the head looks good i wouldnt even clean the carbon off id just put it back on , most of the guys on thumper talk are a bunch of pick fu**s that freak out about stupid things, ive ran cylinders that were missing plating and they lasted just as long, but you can only use them once when they are missing plating, though, but you get my point, ive ran heads that had bunch of nicks in it and it was just fine, you just really gotta know what is useable and what isnt, but the cylinder does indeed need a replate but it could run like that and prolly put another 10 hours on it easy but, for max life id replate the cylinder too, im not trying to sound like a jerk just trying to make a point :bonk:, hope you get er goin again soon man .

sh*t the head looks good i wouldnt even clean the carbon off id just put it back on , most of the guys on thumper talk are a bunch of pick fu**s that freak out about stupid things, ive ran cylinders that were missing plating and they lasted just as long, but you can only use them once when they are missing plating, though, but you get my point, ive ran heads that had bunch of nicks in it and it was just fine, you just really gotta know what is useable and what isnt, but the cylinder does indeed need a replate but it could run like that and prolly put another 10 hours on it easy but, for max life id replate the cylinder too, im not trying to sound like a jerk just trying to make a point :smirk:, hope you get er goin again soon man .
So, let me get this straight. You think it's perfectly fine to run a cylinder with missing plating, and we're the stupid ones?

:bonk:

So, let me get this straight. You think it's perfectly fine to run a cylinder with missing plating, and we're the stupid ones?

:bonk:

Right??

ok chokey , first off i didnt call anyone stupid , i said half the people on here freak out about stupid stuff , so let me try to resay what the point is i was trying to make yesterday, if your kinda broke at the moment and really wanna ride , your cylinder only has a short strip of plating missing only about a quarter inch wide , and its not even on the top of the cylinder where the compression is made its more towards the skirt or close to the exhaust area , you can run it with a new piston and rings, you can almost always get an easy ten hour out of a cylinder like that , i can post a pic of a cylinder that i have that i would run , but im a little unsure of how to do so. , the really worst part is that most cylinders with worn plating end up with a little piston slap and eventually breaks the skirt off the piston , but ya absolutely if you have the money have it done 100% right , so you kinda see where i was going with that ?

ok chokey , first off i didnt call anyone stupid , i said half the people on here freak out about stupid stuff , so let me try to resay what the point is i was trying to make yesterday, if your kinda broke at the moment and really wanna ride , your cylinder only has a short strip of plating missing only about a quarter inch wide , and its not even on the top of the cylinder where the compression is made its more towards the skirt or close to the exhaust area , you can run it with a new piston and rings, you can almost always get an easy ten hour out of a cylinder like that , i can post a pic of a cylinder that i have that i would run , but im a little unsure of how to do so. , the really worst part is that most cylinders with worn plating end up with a little piston slap and eventually breaks the skirt off the piston , but ya absolutely if you have the money have it done 100% right , so you kinda see where i was going with that ?
So if someone is short of funds, your advice to them is to take a piston that would have lasted 40-50-60 hours, and trash it in just a few hours by running it in a damaged cylinder? And to risk turning what was just a re-plate job into a complete top-and-bottom rebuild, just to "get a few more hours" out of a ruined cylinder?

Sorry, but no, I don't see where you were going with that. It's bad advice at best. You're certainly free to do as you wish with your own engine, but if you're going to spread terrible advice like that here in the forum, I'm going to call you on it.

Millinium does great work but cost 200-250. Most likely the compression would not be high enough to fire(experience). The head could use some cleaning. Buy a cheap piece of 1/4" glass and course lapping compound and clean up your head.