Sign in to follow this  

which would be better?

i'm in a bit of a quandry here, my daughter has out skilled, but not out grown the bike she's on, not really got enough leg or confidence yet for a 125, but just kicking the shizz out of her 85, think i could do a lowering kit on a 125? is there one out there even? or should i just be looking for a big wheel 85?

Kx 100.

?????????? waist of time. how old is she? no one can really out skill their bike. if she hasnt got the confidence to move up then she hasnt out skillded the bike. riding is all confidence. work on things like corner speed and clutch and brake control. even practice and wheelies and other stuff like that. it all comes down the control. but maybe in the mean time keep an eye out for good deals on 125. if get and she cant ride it, leave it in the shed for a couple months and bring it out again

Got my daughter a KX100 after her 85 . Great stepping stone , but lasted one year and she loved it . Then last October I got her a YZ125 had to cut the seat and put softer springs in it . So consider both . If you can deal with it only lasting a year I say get the 100 . My 2 cents ! Good luck on your decision !

• Like 1

IMO if she has legitimaely out skilled her 85, Id look for a 125 and add a lowering link and shave the seat. Adjustible pegs are another good option that will add to the verstility of the bike for her.

Lots of options...

- A big-bore kit for your daughter's current 85.

- A big-wheel 85. Basically the same as her current 85, just 1+" taller.

- A KX100. A big-wheel 85 with a little more punch.

In all of these cases, expect your daughter to be ready to move on to the next level in one year. (Like Rosehill Ryder said.)

- A 125 with lowered suspension.

She may get 2 years out of this set-up, depending how quickly she makes the transition to a "big" bike.

It's pretty much Dad's call here. Depending on how much more you expect your daughter to grow, you could go with a big-bore big-wheel 85 (or KX100) for one year, then move to a lowered 125...

or jump straight to a lowered 125, and bring it to full height next year.

Isn't being a Father great! :banana::smirk::bonk:

Our son made these transitions, coming off a KLX110...

- Standard RM85 w/lowered suspension

- RM85 Standard

- RM85 Big Wheel

- YZ125 w/lowered suspension

- stock YZ125

Until he stepped up to the stock 125, each step only lasted 1 year. And each time he moved to the next bike, he said he couldn't tell any difference!

TT member gruberyz has a daughter that has been racing for years. He may be a good source of information.

Very cool your daughter rides. Give her a high-five from all of us!

a kx 100 would be a godidea, but ive heard of people jumping up to a crf150r, which seem to be a good jump , but if you only want a 2 stroke and dont want a 4 stroke this wont wrk, but if you dont care this a good step , i think