Sign in to follow this  

Basic Ignition Points Question

Question about the points on my 1975 Suzuki GT380. I had the middle cylinder lose spark. I have 3 coils, 3 points, 3 condensors; one for each cylinder. When I check for voltage with my multimeter I get approx 11 volts at each of the 3 wires feeding power to the points (left is black wire, middle blck/yellow, right white wire). I put my home made timing light on the left and right cyl points, hand crank motor and the light bulb lights as it should. I try the same light bulb on the middle cyl and nothing even though I still get a 11 volts reading on the same wire with the meter. How can the meter show 11 volts but the light bulb will not light??? Thanks.

Points are dirty on the Cyl. with no spark. Clean points with a points file or a piece of sand paper. Then clean the contacts with Electrical Cleaner or some solvent to remove the debris from the Sand Paper. Sometimes the pivot on the points needs cleaned and re greased to close properly.

Don

The GT380 is a very coool machine...I agree:thumbsup:

It is not about the points though. I can remove the points completely so the black/yellow wire feeding the points electricity is not connected. When I meter that same wire it shows 11 volts, but my 12 volt system lightbulb will not light. How can the wire show the volts, meaning to me I have continuity in the system with the battery, but not light the bulb?? This has nothing to do with the points themselves. Thanks

Ok, the power goes through the coil first, then to the points. You may have a bad coil.

Don

Yes, I believe it does go throught the coil and then the blk/yellow lead from the coil to points breaks the circuit for the spark. But why would the meter read 11 volts if there are no volts????

Yes, I believe it does go throught the coil and then the blk/yellow lead from the coil to points breaks the circuit for the spark. But why would the meter read 11 volts if there are no volts????

Voltage can be present without amperage. Therefore the bulb will not light. To verify the Condenser is not the problem, unscrew the cond. so it is not grounded. It is more than likely the coil. Switch the coils and see if it sparks.

Don

Okay, now we are getting somewhere!!! Can I check for amperage on my digital multimeter?? How?? and what should it read?? :bonk:

Okay, now we are getting somewhere!!! Can I check for amperage on my digital multimeter?? How?? and what should it read?? :bonk:

NO !!!! You will fry your meter if you do not know what you are doing. I would just swap the coil with a known good one to test.

Or you could test the two wires on the coil for Ohms. Should read around 3 to 5 ohms. Compare to your other coils.

Don

Edited by Old Man Of The Mount

This has nothing to do with your points, but I found this pic when I was looking for something else. Click at your own choice, GT380 maybe NSFW