Sign in to follow this  

California Will a plated CRF450X from CO work in CA?

Hey all,

My brother in law is returning home after a few years living in CO and currently has a street legal CRF450X with CO plates. He wants to be able to bring it back to CA and get it registered with CA plates. He asked if I knew if that world work or not and I told him that I would try.

The bike was originally sold and converted in CO and has never been in CA.

Thanks

Alex

Hey all,

My brother in law is returning home after a few years living in CO and currently has a street legal CRF450X with CO plates. He wants to be able to bring it back to CA and get it registered with CA plates. He asked if I knew if that world work or not and I told him that I would try.

The bike was originally sold and converted in CO and has never been in CA.

Thanks

Alex

You need 'proof' of 2000+ miles (vehicle inspection) on paper to give to the DMV, and fill out the paper work.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/docs/tech-info/ca_dmv_registration_packet.pdf

The 7500 mile thing won't get it done. That only applies to vehicles with a "49 states on-road" emission sticker. The X doesn't have one. Transferring from out of out of state requires a vin and emission label inspection. That's going to be the sticking point. It's a crap shoot at best. BTW - That Baja Designs link is woefully out of date.

I would just leave it with the Colorado plates and maintain your I.D/DL from colorado and just say if stopped your just here riding bike temporarily,hopefully you have relatives or friends in colorado to keep registration current there.Just to much PIA to register here,thats what my friend does from Hawaii.You might have a chance of registering it if it was green stickered and below 2003 model which I don't think the 450X is contact Dale at TrickDualsport he can give you some good info.

Thanks for all the help!

I know a guy who left his non CA plates on his car while he lived here. He bragged about how he didn't have to SMOG his truck and even put in a Ford Racing crate engine. It was pretty cool until the local PD noticed him and made him get it registered, which he couldn't do with the hot motor, so it is parked.

I didn't even think about whether or not it would be green or red stickered. I need to do some more research.

Thanks for all the help!

I know a guy who left his non CA plates on his car while he lived here. He bragged about how he didn't have to SMOG his truck and even put in a Ford Racing crate engine. It was pretty cool until the local PD noticed him and made him get it registered, which he couldn't do with the hot motor, so it is parked.

I didn't even think about whether or not it would be green or red stickered. I need to do some more research.

With a bike with out of state plates I would suggest flying under the radar a bit running around to local grocery store on a day to day basis might get you noticed,but for occasional desert stints and D/S rides should be no problem!Thats a nice bike to have D/S conversion out here not many of them altough have seen a couple.have no idea how they got em registered though?

The 7500 mile thing won't get it done. That only applies to vehicles with a "49 states on-road" emission sticker. The X doesn't have one. Transferring from out of out of state requires a vin and emission label inspection. That's going to be the sticking point. It's a crap shoot at best. BTW - That Baja Designs link is woefully out of date.

If you get form DMV343 signed off by a LEO, it will stick like glue. Done it, have seen it done by others.

What is a LEO?

You know those guys in those black and whitey cars with the red light on top!

Law Enforcement Officer.:bonk: