Sign in to follow this  

Anybody buy a Ricochet Skid plate for XR 400?

I know I know ... should have went with the MOOSE ... but I didn't ... so not sure if I need to remove the stock bang bars before installing the skid plate as the instructions say, holding it up ... it seems as though there's room leaving the stock bars on, but the mounting hardware is odd, and am not exactly sure how it works, horrible instructions ... any help is appreciated.

Can you post a photo of it? Or a link?

I have a Baja Designs skid plate, which was the same as a Moose and several other brands. I pulled the bash bars off the frame to mount the plate.

FYI: When changing the oil, get a 2" long piece of 3/4" PVC tubing. Plugs right onto the cases where the oil bolt fits. Allows draining the oil without dripping all over the skid plate.

Can you post a photo of it? Or a link?

I have a Baja Designs skid plate, which was the same as a Moose and several other brands. I pulled the bash bars off the frame to mount the plate.

FYI: When changing the oil, get a 2" long piece of 3/4" PVC tubing. Plugs right onto the cases where the oil bolt fits. Allows draining the oil without dripping all over the skid plate.

yah ... I noticed the need of some drain tube, but I thought I'd be able to leave the bash bars ... I check it out .. thanks!

I fitted Ricochet to 2 XR4s last week, and yes you have to remove the stock bash bars. I've also put some thick tube material between the skidplate and the XR frame at a few places.

I fitted Ricochet to 2 XR4s last week, and yes you have to remove the stock bash bars. I've also put some thick tube material between the skidplate and the XR frame at a few places.

do you have any pics by chance ... thanks.

I think the Ricochet is the same as the TT one too. I got mine on without removing anything. The mounting hardware is not very good, but you can make it work. Oil changes are a bit messier but as someone else mentioned, a piece of tubing helps make things a little neater.

I think I put on some tape or inner tubes where I thought the skid plate would rub on the frame.

As I recall (12 years ago), the best way to mount the skid plate was

1) Remove the bash bars.

2) Sart all of the bolts into the brackets.

3) Push up the skid plate and twist all of the brackets into place.

4) Tighten up the bolts.

No reason to drip any oil onto the skid plate or floor, though some days, I'm just Captain Hazelwood (Exxon) when it comes to an oil change. I now use a piece of tin foil for chaining the filter. Even easier.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104859

I think I put on some tape or inner tubes where I thought the skid plate would rub on the frame.

As I recall (12 years ago), the best way to mount the skid plate was

1) Remove the bash bars.

2) Sart all of the bolts into the brackets.

3) Push up the skid plate and twist all of the brackets into place.

4) Tighten up the bolts.

No reason to drip any oil onto the skid plate or floor, though some days, I'm just Captain Hazelwood (Exxon) when it comes to an oil change. I now use a piece of tin foil for chaining the filter. Even easier.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104859

Ya your oil change tips are great(link). The plastic shoebox idea has worked like a charm for me and the old oil stains are even wearing off the driveway now.:bonk:

Ya your oil change tips are great(link). The plastic shoebox idea has worked like a charm for me and the old oil stains are even wearing off the driveway now.:smirk:

My garage still looks like the Exxon Valdez was parked there sometimes.

Note: When Honda says, "Pump fork rod to remove air." Do it really slowly or see how far oil can shoot in 4 directions. :bonk: