Sign in to follow this  

91 xr250R suspension swap with 87 XL250R?

hi, i did an extensive search on this subject but came up empty. I have an 87 xl250r with drum brakes and found a 91 xr250r with disc brakes. I think I can switch out the front forks easy enough but I'm not sure if the rear swing arm and shock will be a direct bolt on. Does any one here have any experience doing this mod? thanks

a 2001 xr650L swingarm went on straight forward on my 85 XR350 so I'm fairly certain it will work just fine. You will need the respective wheels or at least a bearing change. The earlier xr's used 15mm front axles and the later 17mm.

... You will need the respective wheels or at least a bearing change...

the bearing change will not make the drum wheel work with a disc caliper

or did I get that wrong?

before you start swapping wheels, you need one first

swingarms are sorta cheap, wheels on the other hand seemed rare

when I was looking for a disc wheel for my 86 XR,

edit

is your XL 17" or 18" in the rear?

I 'm picking up the 91 xr250l today for $150. It's complete and not running hence the $150 talked down from the $300 asking price. Apparently my 87 xl250R had the more desired motor compared to the single carbed rfvc of the donor bike otherwise I might consider moving all the electronics, signals, motor, etc over to the XR250L. The Xl has the 17 inch wheel and the XRL has the 18. Thankfully I have the whole bike so I won't be having to find wheels to match the forks and swing arm. The only problem that I see is needing to cut off and re weld brackets on XL the for the rear wheel master cylinder and mono shock reservoir canister. The PO said the bike stopped running when the decomp cable broke. I don't see how that would keep the bike from running but the outside sping loaded mechanism outside the valve cover just kinda seems loose and there is no compression sensed from trying to kick start. Maybe some internal cam that opens the exhaust valve is stuck.

ok I have done this on my 86

So you need the trees from the later model bike along with the forks, caliper, brake system, odometer driver.

Now you will need to press out your stem and press it into the new trees. They use the same size bearing between years there, difference is the later ones are tapered roller bearings = better! vs the individual ball bearings.

The bike will be taller, thus you will need to slide the forks up higher in the clamps. I just swapped a XR250L front end onto mine and works great.

Also when you swap the clamps, you need to either fab new brackets for the headlight or swap to the later model stuff. That is why I went with the XR250L clamps, so it had the odometer mount and key mount. The lock will not work without welding an extension for the steering lock to the frame.

If you swapped out to earlier Xl600R forks, it is more of a straight swap. Able to keep the same headlight and speedo.