Sign in to follow this  

Two stroke silencer on a 4 stroke

Can I put a two stroke silencer on a 4 stroke? It's just a clunker I'm fooling with and don't want to cut up a good two stroke silencer if it's a bad plan.

I think the outlet would be to small. i dont even think it would connect to the header :bonk:
Thats why I want to do it. A dealer has a few take off silencers in the clearance bin and some are the right size to fit my stock header pipe making fit up easy. How much hotter is a four stroke that it would burn the packing?

It will work just fine if the bore size is about the same

It will not melt or fall to bits

If its used it will smoke and burn up the packing pretty fast

Mind you if all the other posts are true I think that all exhaust pipe manufacturers will have to stop making alloy silencers , stop putting perforated cores in them, stop packing them ect ect ect

What ever way you look at it at least it will be silenced

Please just fit it and then report back on how it worked just fine and didnt melt or fall to bits lol

If the core size is the same, it will do the job fine. Just put 4 stroke packing in it. The can will probably be smaller though, so the bike might be more noisy, be careful not to annoy the neighbours.

It will work just fine if the bore size is about the same

It will not melt or fall to bits

If its used it will smoke and burn up the packing pretty fast

Mind you if all the other posts are true I think that all exhaust pipe manufacturers will have to stop making alloy silencers , stop putting perforated cores in them, stop packing them ect ect ect

What ever way you look at it at least it will be silenced

Please just fit it and then report back on how it worked just fine and didnt melt or fall to bits lol

If the core size is the same, it will do the job fine. Just put 4 stroke packing in it. The can will probably be smaller though, so the bike might be more noisy, be careful not to annoy the neighbours.
These two guys have it right. It will work, and as long as you use four-stroke packing it isn't going to burn or melt anything.

But the can volume is much smaller than a four-stroke so the packing won't last long. Also, the tuned length will likely be a lot shorter than a four-stroke silencer, so I can't predict what effect it will have on the power or the jetting.