Sign in to follow this  

Honda XR 200 or Yamaha ttr 125L

Hi guys I am new to the forum and have only made one posting before this.....

I just started riding in the fall on my brothers 2004 ttr 125L and not super experienced but I was getting the hang of it pretty good when we put it away for the winter....I wanting to buy a bike now that's it's winter here and the prices are down and I can't decide on another yamaha ttr like my brothers either the same year or newer or theres a few honda 2001 xr200s in good shape for sale. I have never ridin the honda. Purpose for bike would only be trail riding and the odd small jumps here and there but that's it. I like the 125 and I am 5'6 130 pounds and done growing but I don't want to out grow the power and want something abit more.....the power on the trr is great now but will I want more?...which bike is better built for what I need. I know the good thing is the trr is much lighter has the front disc which the xr200 still is styled just like the old ones heavy and still drum brakes....

Any thoughts would help alot.

try finding a TTR230, or maybe a CRF150f or R. you will be wanting more power, but the XR200 if its any newer than 91(?) wouldnt be your best choice, XR250 would be manageable also, but it weighs 260 pounds. If you are looking for best power to weight and dont mind the riding styles any of the 85's are great (CR, KX, RM or YZ) If you go the 85 route make sure you get the L version of the RM and CR. KX100 is also a good choice.

I had an XR200 and my son rode and TTR125. The 200 is a 7/8th sized frame so that is is smaller than full size. They have plenty of power and are a blast to ride. Your size is good for the 200. A 250 woudl give more power but my 200 never left me out.

Get a 150F. Much better bike with Electric start

Need to finish the post. My daughter has a TTR 125L and wanted to get something bigger with more power. We bought a 1998 XR200R., had it for 1 month and just moved to a 150F and could not be happier. The XR is a good bike but after 1991 the suspension is not good and difficult to modify.

For my kids we have a TTR 125L, a CRF 150R, a KX 100 & a CRF150F. We "Upgraded" from the TTR to the XR200R because I thought it would be a good compromise over the 150F and Crf 230 for my daughter. She just did not like the power delivery of the KX100 and the CRF150R (did not have the 150F yet).

My Daughter is a good trail rider and wanted a slightly larger bike and more power than the TTR. She rode a a Friends 2006 CR230. Really liked the power and the bike, but it was too heavy (240lbs). She had not tried the 150F yet. I thought a good upgrade to 2006 TTR 125L (She's 16 yo, 5'2" & 105lbs) was the 1998 XR200R, what a mistake.

The Power of a XR200R was great and the bike rode pretty well (if you weighed over 150LBS and modded the suspension considerably). I needed to modify the suspension for her weight (105 lbs) and this is where the problem is. These bikes have very cheap suspension after 1991. So modification would require finding a good working 1986 -1991 xr200r to salvage the suspension components and modify the 1998 bike. The front end just felt too heavy and there is no rebound valving. So if you are light (<150lbs) you need to soften the compression quite a bit to make it ride better, but with no rebound dampning, your bike will just pogo after you hit bumps at any speed and this is dangerous.