Sign in to follow this  

motorcycle noob

hey guys. ive never owned a motorcycle. I have ridden them in the past but i really have very little knowledge about motorcycles. ive recently decided to get rid of my street legal dune buggy and replace it with a dual sport bike. i want something i can commute with but i also want to be able to go offroad. im starting to have mixed feelings with the commute part of the dual sport bike now though after doing some reading. so i figured id come on here and get some advice from people who have experience.

so heres whats going through my head i was originally looking at the kawasaki klx250s but my commute is about a 25-30 mile ride one way at an elevation of 300ft to an elevation 3500ft. now its obviously a freeway commute. i weigh about 225 pounds. so ive spoken to a few people who recommend at least a 400 motor. so after hearing that i find the susuki drz400 is the most attractive choice for me. but now after more reading especially after finding this forum i hear the lighter bikes are no good for freeway riding. and i want to have a lighter bike. now my options are open for different bikes. but im just curious if its worth it to get the larger bike or should i give up on the commuter deal and just geta 250 and have fun around town and on the trails??

hey guys. ive never owned a motorcycle. I have ridden them in the past but i really have very little knowledge about motorcycles. ive recently decided to get rid of my street legal dune buggy and replace it with a dual sport bike. i want something i can commute with but i also want to be able to go offroad. im starting to have mixed feelings with the commute part of the dual sport bike now though after doing some reading. so i figured id come on here and get some advice from people who have experience.

so heres whats going through my head i was originally looking at the kawasaki klx250s but my commute is about a 25-30 mile ride one way at an elevation of 300ft to an elevation 3500ft. now its obviously a freeway commute. i weigh about 225 pounds. so ive spoken to a few people who recommend at least a 400 motor. so after hearing that i find the susuki drz400 is the most attractive choice for me. but now after more reading especially after finding this forum i hear the lighter bikes are no good for freeway riding. and i want to have a lighter bike. now my options are open for different bikes. but im just curious if its worth it to get the larger bike or should i give up on the commuter deal and just geta 250 and have fun around town and on the trails??

if its highway or freeway commute the 250 is NOT a good choice, with stock gearing they top out at 75-ish, so you are cruising at fairly high RPM at 65. Look at a DRZ400 or KTM500/525/530 KLR 650 if you arent riding in anything tight.

IMO Highway and light weight rule out most DS bikes. You can find heavy bikes that will do both but I suggest if you want a lightweight play bike look into a 250-300 2-stroke. I like the GasGas and Husky myself but the KTM's are great bikes too. I agree with Nighthawk the 250's are to small for extended highway runs.

thanks for the info guys. im pretty sure when it comes time ill probably get the susuki drz400. seems to be the best all around bike for what i wanna do.

thanks for the info guys. im pretty sure when it comes time ill probably get the susuki drz400. seems to be the best all around bike for what i wanna do.

Excellent choice IMO.:bonk::ride::smirk:

i feel its gonna be a long couple of months. should i find a new drz400 thats a couple years old or just find a used one?

i feel its gonna be a long couple of months. should i find a new drz400 thats a couple years old or just find a used one?

Well if you have some time you could probably shop around a bit. Some of it probably depends on what is available to you, how you want to buy, and your budget. For me, I always try to buy within a close distance to where I live and I always test ride what I buy. I shop online --craigs and etc-- but I never engage on something I can't pick up myself within a couple hours drive at most.

Also you might want to read some of the TT posts about buying used and some of the things that are "must haves" like a title. Plus, if you have a friend or someone who has bought a bike before it might be good to have them tag along as a "second set of eyes". I have bought a lot of dirt bikes over the years and I still drag along friends to help me catch something that I might have missed. HTH & good luck. BTW post up some pics when you get it. :bonk::ride::smirk:

Well if you have some time you could probably shop around a bit. Some of it probably depends on what is available to you, how you want to buy, and your budget. For me, I always try to buy within a close distance to where I live and I always test ride what I buy. I shop online --craigs and etc-- but I never engage on something I can't pick up myself within a couple hours drive at most.

Also you might want to read some of the TT posts about buying used and some of the things that are "must haves" like a title. Plus, if you have a friend or someone who has bought a bike before it might be good to have them tag along as a "second set of eyes". I have bought a lot of dirt bikes over the years and I still drag along friends to help me catch something that I might have missed. HTH & good luck. BTW post up some pics when you get it. :bonk::ride::smirk:

thanks for the info man. i definitely gotta get my m1 permit first. i plan enrolling in a program so i can refresh what i learned years ago as far as riding a motorcycle, and for learning about being a new rider for the street.

i think i know one guy who still lives near me than can inspect a bike.

or if you know any members on here that live in the san diego, CA area.

thanks for the info man. i definitely gotta get my m1 permit first. i plan enrolling in a program so i can refresh what i learned years ago as far as riding a motorcycle, and for learning about being a new rider for the street.

i think i know one guy who still lives near me than can inspect a bike.

or if you know any members on here that live in the san diego, CA area.

Don't know anyone off-hand, but you might want to go to here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120

This is the Ca regional forum, it is broken into So & No regions I think so you can maybe chat with some of the folks there in the SD area. Perhaps they can even point you to someone selling. I used to live in SD in the early 90s great place lots of great riding. Though, I have to admit, I was skatin in the drainage half-pipes and empty pools in 92 more than I was ridin my 125!!!!:bonk:

Don't know anyone off-hand, but you might want to go to here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120

This is the Ca regional forum, it is broken into So & No regions I think so you can maybe chat with some of the folks there in the SD area. Perhaps they can even point you to someone selling. I used to live in SD in the early 90s great place lots of great riding. Though, I have to admit, I was skatin in the drainage half-pipes and empty pools in 92 more than I was ridin my 125!!!!:bonk:

aha excellent thanks a lot man. your a fountain of knowledge!

well thanks a lot guys i got my eye set on a used 2001 dr650 for 2800. its mostly stock with a few upgrades. its got about 7500 miles on it. the guy takes pretty good care of it. 2 imperfections 1 is a dent in the original blue tank but i wanna buy the ims aftermarket tank and the rear tail light lense is broken a little bit but i plan on changing that out to a different one.