Easy quick question

There should be an O @ 12 O'Clock on the cam sprocket. Yes, the sprocket hardware will be level with the head. Make sure the lobes on the cam are facing down: technically it won't make any difference, but it will make things a little easier for you. Keep the timing chain 'slack' on the adjuster side.

yes correct but also make sure your cam lobes are pointed down if there pointed up your out 180 degrees.

yes correct but also make sure your cam lobes are pointed down if there pointed up your out 180 degrees.

This only applies when the ignition components are attached to a camshaft. Great minds must respond alike!

Okay excellent. I see that little O now.

This is the bike from this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003892&highlight=timing

Once it got into my hands I cleaned out the carb (which was the cleanest carb I have ever seen) and tried to give it a go. No go. It had spark. I gave it a monster kick with the throttle open and it fired up, but it ran incredibly soft. No power. Wouldn't rev past about 4,000 rpm. Pulled off the valve cover to find the cam timing was off 1 tooth and the chain was stretch out like a hooker's... you know. I could pull the cam chain right off the sprocket with my fingers when it was at max tension. Valve clearances were tight and barely had any clearance, but at least they had SOME clearance unlike when I got my other XR.

Set the valve clearances, replaced the cam chain and set the cam timing. Now there is plenty more resistance when trying to kick it through, and it'll fire up but it still isn't right. It'll fire up in 3 kicks cold, run for a couple seconds and then cut out and die with a big backfire. To me, this says IGNITION IGNITION IGNITION!!! Does it say that to anyone else?

I was wondering what things you guys know I should definitely check out on the points system. I have a multimeter and I'm ready to probe. I do not have a service manual though. Flywheel puller should be here tomorrow. I hope it fits because they only had them listed for 1999-current xr/crf80, so I ordered one of those.

Order new points from the dearler or ebay or get a complete CDI ignition.

If it were my bike, I'd probably invest in a CDI, but it's not my bike. I'm just fixing it. It has spark, so the spark timing must just be incorrect. I keep hearing that you can rig up a light to see when the points are open. How do you do this?

battery negative to ground/engine, positive to light, light to points wire at the points.  Light goes out when points open.

I may have a complete set of CDI ignition stuff from my parts 2001 XR100. If it is an easy swap,(IDK, but it probably is, someone with more knowledge can confirm or refute the fact), I'll sell it to you, if you want it.