Sign in to follow this  

Major Design Flaw ...

I have an 01 XR400 - anyone owning one of these knows, pulling the plug could be easier to say the least.

My solution was buying the plug removal tool from Honda and cutting it down, then using a length of fuel line to shimmy on the top and unscrew accordingly ... anyone with a better way .... PLEASE CHIME IN ... btw .. much easier if you pull the tank ... still a pain in the ass though.

if you going to buy something buy the original tool kit, or Motion pro sell an 18mm plug wrench that does this, some people grind an 18mm deep socket. its up to you....

i had the motion pro tool it has a hex head and a hole to turn with a screwdriver if you dont have access on top in the last parts of the threads when the plug comes out

I have an 01 XR400 - anyone owning one of these knows, pulling the plug could be easier to say the least.

You know of coarse, to blow out the plug recess really well with compressed air before you go removing the plug, right?

You know of coarse, to blow out the plug recess really well with compressed air before you go removing the plug, right?

YES ... perfect place for shit to gather ... thanks guys.

if you going to buy something buy the original tool kit, or Motion pro sell an 18mm plug wrench that does this, some people grind an 18mm deep socket. its up to you....

i had the motion pro tool it has a hex head and a hole to turn with a screwdriver if you dont have access on top in the last parts of the threads when the plug comes out

I bought the OG ... and it was still a HUGE pain in the ass compared to my other bikes ... although to be honest this is my first 4 stroke, I've owned nothing but 2 strokes in the past but as I've grown up ... I appreciate more enduro / adventure type riding these days ... but my RM 250, I could pull the plug in seconds ... this thing is way beyond that. maybe I should try the motion pro.

I had an OE plug wrench that I had grinded smooth and round to work without issues. Lost it, fell out of my back pack riding at Camp Livingston.

Bought another 18mm motorcyle plug wrench (in a kit) off ebay. Ground it round and smooth. Works great !

Of course this is a 4 stroke, and the spark plug does not need to be removed very often... maybe every decade or so! :bonk:

Perc

ya the xr250s plug is the same way, crowded by the valve cover bolts. i just did like the above poster mentioned, grinded down a socket, now it works fine.

I love my xr4 but the plug access is a piss poor design. Even with the gas tank off it is still difficult. One of the few flaws in the design of the bike IMO. I always use the Honda kit and it still sux.:bonk::foul::smirk:

Well, I'll post this again for the newbies. Something I came up with to help keep the plug recess debris free. Using this mod, if I ever need to remove the plug, all I do is run a screwdriver around the base of the plug to break up any fine dust caking, take off my gas tank vent line and use it to blow the recess out.

HeboXR1.jpg

Kinda surprised your cover doesn't melt,,is it just a hunk of rubber??..Secrets just making sure you have a well ground down 18mm tube spanner,,and never force the plug when installing it, Any sign of the plug being hard to screw into the threads then back off and start again or you'll strip the threads in the head,,I have no trouble doing the plug with the tank on,,just gotta make sure your tube spanners the correct length and ground down enough to stop the binding,,(Binding leads to confusion and stripped threads),,I ground a motor mower plug spanner yesterday,,Now smooth as removing the plug.,.,,A $5.00 motor mower tube plug spanner works fine with the grind.and slight shortening in length.,

During the spark plug installation and removal process I use a similar approach (with tank on bike). I attach a piece of 3/8" diameter Gates fuel line (about 1 ft in length) to end of the spark plug. During installation the fuel line is handy for feeding the plug into the threads. Once plug is started in the threads the fuel line is also used to hand turn until tight. Once tight pull the piece of fuel line off the plug. Attach the socket or tool of choice to finish securing the plug.

Well, I'll post this again for the newbies. Something I came up with to help keep the plug recess debris free. Using this mod, if I ever need to remove the plug, all I do is run a screwdriver around the base of the plug to break up any fine dust caking, take off my gas tank vent line and use it to blow the recess out.

HeboXR1.jpg

nice! i'll do that on my xr250 too!

what is that attached to the frame with the 2 lines coming off of it? i was gunna guess , but i'll wait for an answer.

nice! i'll do that on my xr250 too!

what is that attached to the frame with the 2 lines coming off of it? i was gunna guess , but i'll wait for an answer.

The recess cover is made from nylon re-inforced sheet rubber. No problem with it melting. It doesn't actually contact the header anywhere.

Those lines you asked about are my Hebo hydraulic clutch setup. I have relocated it since that picture.