Sign in to follow this  

200xcw or 250xc...

I am going to be buying a '12 KTM and can't decide between the two previously mentioned bikes. I have done some research on them and know the difference between them as far as suspension and tranny goes. But is the 250 really that much faster then the 200. I like the idea of how light the 200 is and the whole "mountain bike with an engine" comparision. I am 6ft 210lbs and have been riding motorcycles for 12 years, dirt bikes on and off again since the age of 8. I currently own an RMZ450 but would rather a 2 stroke for the trails and maybe some harescrambles in the future. Thanks in advance for any input.

I am going to be buying a '12 KTM and can't decide between the two previously mentioned bikes. I have done some research on them and know the difference between them as far as suspension and tranny goes. But is the 250 really that much faster then the 200. I like the idea of how light the 200 is and the whole "mountain bike with an engine" comparision. I am 6ft 210lbs and have been riding motorcycles for 12 years, dirt bikes on and off again since the age of 8. I currently own an RMZ450 but would rather a 2 stroke for the trails and maybe some harescrambles in the future. Thanks in advance for any input.

the 200 hauls my 220lb girth around no problem. On tight single track the 200 is great ..feels very light & flickable,turns great & can really lug with out stalling with a good mid range hit, a strong front brake. I never rode the 250 but hear that it is alot faster than the 200 when things open up.

I've had pretty much all the KTM offroad offerings. 2 and 4 stroke from 200 cc to 500+

You need to consider the riding you want to do.

For me its the tightest and roughest type of goat trail I can find.

I actually started some years ago on KTM 300's because I was trying to match the bike to what I was coming off of. (CRF450R).

Since then I has a few more 300's 250's (2 and 4 stroke), 450's 520's.

One day I went to buy tires and bought a new 200 XCW instead. Never considered on before because I thought it wouldn't have he power but the price was right.

My previous bikes were luggers and crawlers in tighter riding and could wear on you on a 5 hr ride. You rarely opened them up.

The 200 took a bit to learn how to ride. While it is tough to stall you open it up more.

That's where its a blast to ride.

On my type of trails there are sections you can ride on the pipe where the 250 and 300 would really get out of shape if i tried.

Feb 2011 I purchased a new "11" 250 XC because I wanted to try the latest frame.

While it turned great it was no where near as fun as my super light 200.

Sold that 250 after 4 rides.

The weight really is noticeable too. A friend who rides a 250F recently took his first ride on a 200 and was shocked. He heard and read about its feel but could not believe how light it actually felt.

For my local scrambles is a good bike. It requires shifting more often to keep it in the power but it handles everything well.

It'll always be my first choice.

FWIW I weigh 208 with gear.

Wow, you guys have some very good things to say about the 200 and it sounds like it is a great bike especially for what I am trying to get accomplished. And odonnks, I think you may have a dirt bike purchasing problem! Lol

odonnks, my story lays out quite like yours short of the big bore 4 strokes and about 40 lbs. LOL

I made some changes to my bike and woke the beast up! Wore me out today so some more changes will be coming to tame it just a tad for the technical offroad stuff we get into.

Saying that, if I ever feel I have progressed enough in my skills that I have outgrown the 200, then a 250XC will be what I replace it with. Thing is, I think it will be a long wait. haha

Sorry to be the one, but I would lean towards a 250xc. I own one and the suspension updates alone (linkage) make it a awesome bike. Because of your weight, your looking at springs at the very least for either bike. 220lbs is heavy, a 200 will pull you around decently, a 250 would never know you were there. The electric start is also a big plus. The nice thing about the 250xc is the power is nice and mellow. No crazy hit anywhere unless you want it. Compared to the 200, the power is quite different. The 250 has a noticeable difference in power, being more then the 200. As for transmission, it's a wash and more to do with personal preference. I like a closed ratio gearbox because I practice on a motocross track and race HS. There is nothing a 200 won't do vs a 250 other then a few places where power really does count (a long hillclimb). Resale will be good on either bike of you end up not liking what you choose.

All in all, my opinion is look hard at the 250xc! Good luck riding.

Pumpkin, does the 250xc lug well if you need it to or do you have to be on the pipe?

Pumpkin, does the 250xc lug well if you need it to or do you have to be on the pipe?

All the 200+ KTM's will lug. It's just a matter of setting them up. What the 200 lacks in HP it makes up for it in gearing. I carry 4th and 5th thru stuff that my friends carry thru in 3rd/4th. Even today, the guys I was riding with were kind of amazed.

Pumpkin, have you owned a 200?

I like the 250XC, it just doesn't suit me. I could make it work, I just don't like the chance of the bike spitting me off in the woods and I can only use so much power in the terrain I ride anyway. I don't get many chances to get the 200 on the pipe and would have even less chances with the 250.

IDK, after owning all 3 sizes, the 200 is just fun. I love the way it revs. The bigger bikes feel sluggish when I get on them now. I like it's design, PV and all. I like that I have more room to work, topends are cheaper, and the bikes are cheaper to buy. I like that I can ride it 125ish or lug it like a 250. And I like that it weighs 209lbs!

the 200 is like a mountain bike and is a beast on tight trails!! most people ride trails where you do not even need the extra speed or power no matter how good you are. But it really comes down to the type of trails you like to ride. i almost never touch 5th or 6th gear. and i do most of my tight riding in 2nd reving it.

All the 200+ KTM's will lug. It's just a matter of setting them up. What the 200 lacks in HP it makes up for it in gearing. I carry 4th and 5th thru stuff that my friends carry thru in 3rd/4th. Even today, the guys I was riding with were kind of amazed.

Pumpkin, have you owned a 200?

COLOR="Red"]Yes, I bought it a KTM 200 in 09 (new). I had a 09 300 before that and a 08 450 before that. They were all KTMs.

I liked the 200, my biggest problem I had was the wide ratio transmisson. Because I practiced on a motocross track, the wide ratio tranny doesnt work to well, but I understood that. The power was good, but im also 220lbs without gear(a race weight of 190lbs+gear) and I had to keep the 200 working pretty hard to go fast. The bottom end power was OK, but again, im heavy and on short run, long hills the 200 just didnt have the torque to gain any speed unlike a 250/300. I agree with gmoss about setting up properly for certain obstacle (if thats what he meant, or maybe it was setting up the bike) but either way, setting up the bike and for obstacles is important.[/color]

I like the 250XC, it just doesn't suit me. I could make it work, I just don't like the chance of the bike spitting me off in the woods

I very much agree with this statment gmoss, more power can get you into trouble faster but it can also get you out of it too. One thing I liked about the 200 over a 250xc is that you can jump on them after a month of not being on a bike and still ride safely because they just dont produce a crazy amount of unusable power. I rode a 09 KX450f a couple days ago in the bush, the thing was insane and just way too much, too soon for the weekend warrior!

and I can only use so much power in the terrain I ride anyway. I don't get many chances to get the 200 on the pipe and would have even less chances with the 250.

IDK, after owning all 3 sizes, the 200 is just fun. I love the way it revs. The bigger bikes feel sluggish when I get on them now. I like it's design, PV and all. I like that I have more room to work, topends are cheaper, and the bikes are cheaper to buy. I like that I can ride it 125ish or lug it like a 250. And I like that it weighs 209lbs!

Everybody has made some good points about which bike would be better. The 200 is a great machine, just not the machine for me.

250xc lugs great! Super super tractable power. I find it quite boring to ride. My last race bike was a 08 YZ 250, not as much HP as the KTM but it definately hit harder them my KTM and the suspension was set up stiffer so bouncing over logs and such was so much funner. My 250xc is all business this year with a overall softer suspension setup for XC/HS racing this year!

It's still a matter of the terrain you ride.

When a rider can run his preferred trails at 3/4 plus throttle he's ready for more displacement.

I constantly tell the younger riders I ride with that they don't need that 450 or 300. It'll make then lazy and on 5-6 hr rides in my terrain that size bike will tire them too soon.

It took me many many years and lots of bikes to learn this.

Will I have other bikes in the future? Yes, I like to experiment. But there will always be a 200 as a first choice.

There are guys on 125's who will toast riders on 450's in MX. There are also 450 riders that will toast smaller 2-strokes in tight woods.

But, on my terrain I'll stack a 200 against any bike of any mfg.

Again, you need to consider what you plan to ride with the bike you choose.

Thanks guys, all great points that have been made. As of right now I am leaning toward the 200.

Good to know pumpkin. without knowing the bikes owned, it is good to know the perspective of the poster. I have a hard time giving weight to posters that haven't owned the sizes being discussed.

Check out the latest issue of Dirt Bike magazine. Nice review on the 200XC-W and what DB's favorite bike is. The 200 will do everything the 250 or 300 can do. It's all about the fun factor.

You'll probably want a different rear shock spring/fork springs on the 200 though. The 250 and 300 come with electric start and linkage suspension; I'm not a fan of either. I don't see the point, with the extra $$$, weight, and linkage hanging out waiting to get bashed. But, other's will refute all of this.