Sign in to follow this  

2007 KX 65 Brakes, Instability

Bought my son an unused 2007 KX 65 for Christmas. He is currently riding a KTM 50, so working on the clutch thing. I rode the thing for the first time Christmas morn, and the front brake is extremely sensitive. We are talking just touch it and it locks up. The front rotor looks a bit funny, like the pads have never really bedded in. Any ideas??

I also noticed the thing is wagging its tail all over the place under power. I mean I'm not Ricky Carmichael, but this thing is completely unstable.

We never had any brake issues with ours. The 65's are really funny in how they react to different size riders. When I got on my son's, it was all I could do to keep the front end on the ground. This is because when I sat on it, being 6' tall, my butt was planted at the rear of the seat. This placed all of my weight over the rear tire causing to to be extremely planted while making the front end really light. Now when my son got on it, the rear tire would spin while the bike just scooted forward. The KX65's are great bikes for kids, but an accident waiting to happen for adults!

Not sure yet what is going on with the brakes, but have discovered the tire pressure much higher than recommended. The manual says 11-14 psi, but the rear had 36 psi. Would this lead to the rear wandering around?

Yes that would cause it to wander around. Check the wheel beargs and swing arm bearings too. On the brakes try new pads and if that don't help put a new rotor on too. Good luck.

Ed

OK, maybe I do have the suspension collapsed a bit, but any ideas on the front brake?

So you're saying the bikes never been ridden before? If so it's brakes may take some time to break in . New brakes are always touchy.

If I do change the rotor/pads, is there a better pad to ensure they are less likely to lock up, i.e. less aggressive material?