Sign in to follow this  

1997 Cr250R Restoration/Build Project

311469_296144787076403_100000426534011_1116316_732958140_n.jpg

Both my bikes are on the left and the rest are my friends. Sorry i dont have any good before pictures.

IMG_0400.jpg

Suspension that should make its way over to Factory Connection for a rebuild and revalve.

IMG_0399.jpg

Plastics wearing into alumnium and radiator hose

IMG_0396.jpg

Freshly greased steering head bearings ( what size socket fits on the top nut??)

IMG_0395.jpg

Front View

IMG_0394.jpg

Rear View

IMG_0393.jpg

Bike and Parts

I got this bike this fall from my cousin for free. He bought it off my uncle and raced it a couple years then it sat. So i started racing and he decided to pass it on to me now. So now the bike is mine and im going through the whole thing. Nothing has been done to the bike motor wise, still has original piston, jetting, original graphics and plastics. Had all new bearings installed and greased a couple years ago before it sat. So im going through them all again. You guys would've cried if you saw behind the powervalve cover. 15ish years of riding and never been cleaned. I was suprised it still opened and closed. I was riding the bike before I put it away and i was amazed how well it ran.

Parts/upgrades to come

- New OEM plastics and graphics (Every peice of plastic)

- Oem piston rings and gaskets

- Maybe a crank depending on how it checks out.

- Rebuild the carb and rejet (Any recomendations? Im at sea level, 70 -100 degrees)

- Factory Connection suspension (Hopefully)

If anybody has any recommendations let me know and I will try my best to upload more pictures as the bike starts coming back together.

Edited by rayztruckz307

311469_296144787076403_100000426534011_1116316_732958140_n.jpg

Both my bikes are on the left and the rest are my friends. Sorry i dont have any good before pictures.

IMG_0400.jpg

Suspension that should make its way over to Factory Connection for a rebuild and revalve.

IMG_0399.jpg

Plastics wearing into alumnium and radiator hose

IMG_0396.jpg

Freshly greased steering head bearings ( what size socket fits on the top nut??)

IMG_0395.jpg

Front View

IMG_0394.jpg

Rear View

IMG_0393.jpg

Bike and Parts

I got this bike this fall from my cousin for free. He bought it off my uncle and raced it a couple years then it sat. So i started racing and he decided to pass it on to me now. So now the bike is mine and im going through the whole thing. Nothing has been done to the bike motor wise, still has original piston, jetting, original graphics and plastics. Had all new bearings installed and greased a couple years ago before it sat. So im going through them all again. You guys would've cried if you saw behind the powervalve cover. 15ish years of riding and never been cleaned. I was suprised it still opened and closed. I was riding the bike before I put it away and i was amazed how well it ran.

Parts/upgrades to come

- New OEM plastics and graphics (Every peice of plastic)

- Oem piston rings and gaskets

- Maybe a crank depending on how it checks out.

- Rebuild the carb and rejet (Any recomendations? Im at sea level, 70 -100 degrees)

- Factory Connection suspension (Hopefully)

If anybody has any recommendations let me know and I will try my best to upload more pictures as the bike starts coming back together.

if money is an issue i would just get UFO or Accerbis plastics if not oem is the best quality

good call with the oem piston and gaskets

the only think i would be worried about is if it sat for a long time i have heard of rust forming on the crank and rod bearings so, you should be able to feel it "snagging" if thats the case...you might be alright but just take a look at it to be safe

sounds like you have a good idea about what to do

my only suggestions would be

replace all fluids ( im sure you know this)

repack silencer, new spark plug

get the HONDA manual not the cylmer

factory connection is the best so thats a good call as well

if this was my bike i would replace the crank seals as well as the counter shaft seal over time the crack

lastly HOLD ON ! the 97 is supposed to be a real screamer :bonk:

Oo yeah I forgot to mention plug, fluids and re pack the exhaust. I planned on doing all that already. How hard is it to replace crank seals? I got to cylinder and piston off today and the crank is smooth now up and down play.

I am currently doing the exact same thing to my 1998 cr250. It's still in one piece now but I'm literally about to go load it up and take to a buddys for a full top end, reeds, silencer re pack, full white UFO plastics kit, replace/grease ALL bearings, etc etc only thing I'm not touching is the bottom end of the motor.

Your jetting specifications for that bike are exactly what it came with from the factory. I have the 97-99 cr250 manual I am also at sea level but a bit colder than 70 right now, but anyway your jetting should be:

175 main

55 pilot

42 power

1.5-2 turns out on air screw

needle clip in 3rd position (dead middle)

Also, be sure to check for any air leaks. The only thing I don't like about the 97-98 is the carb's idle adjustment and the choke knob are both one in the same...and also the electric power jet solenoid. Be sure to make sure your solenoid is working and if you want to get rid of it I've heard many times, you can just unplug it and go with a 1368 needle. Also check that choke knob for leaks or anything. They are also notorious for failing.

I know I have a million other tiny things to share but just aren't coming to me at the moment. If you have any questions on ANYTHING just contact me via PM or whatever. Good luck with your rebuild and know that I'll literally be doing mine tonight (diss assembly) as well!!! Bike looks great! Polish up that frame so it can look like this!

IMAG0523.jpg

I bought mothers aluminum polish and is didn't come close to that. Did you sand your frame down then polish it? Also how do u test the power jet? It's about 25 degrees in Maine right now lol but I don't ride dirtbikes in the winter only snowmobiles. What happens when you polish the intake on the carb?

On the power jet I have heard you can hook it up to any 12v source. The manual explains it really well although it's very simple. The 12v source will mimick the bike hitting that certain RPM and the little metal thing will extend, letting you know it's working.

My story is a long one. I used to own this bike 4 years ago. I owned it for a couple years and sold it when I moved off to college. Never met the guy I sold it to. Long story short I come back 4 years later and come across this bike completely randomly all because a friend recognized a old fire fighter sticker I had on it, because I let him ride it once. Anyway, I bought it back and has been in my possession for a few months. It has not been sanded to the best of my knowledge although I use a powerball hooked to a drill. You can get them @ autozone or wherever, but for by hand polishing, I've found that NOTHING beats NEVR dull...I just discovered it and boy is it amazing. It's all about the elbow grease. When it turns black liquidy, you KNOW it's working then... I just have always kept up with the polishing on the frame when I used to own it and now. You have to do it every single ride and sometimes even in between rides. As soon as I ride it my boots leave scuff marks all over the frame and by the end of the day it looks real bad again. It takes some work, but oh so worth it while the bike sits each week waiting for the weekend!

I don't like polished frames .... scotch brite and some simple green followed by wd-40 on a rag and repeat till it looks factory ...

polished aluminum has its place....like the like on 20" rims on my monte carlo:thumbsup:

That's gonna be a nice bike. Goanna look so good with with the fresh OEM plastic on the forks and rad.

Interesting info here about the carb. I bet mine needs work now.

O yeah when I pulled The head off and it was spotless I was like ***? The piston is carbon covered. My whole family said that the motor has never been touch and the power valve shows that!!!??

Bike looks great! Get rid of the black number plate backgrounds...correct for. 250 2 stroke is white (lblack for 125, yellow for 500)...

Not trying to whore out or anything, but we made progress too!!! I have a really experienced buddy basically doing it for me so I can learn but apparently my cylinder looks great...We couldn't get my jug off after tapping so we soaked the dial pins in pb blaster and going to pop it off tmrw and order my piston. My plastics and all other parts should be in tmrw though I cannot wait!!

IMAG0557.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

This is a couple pictures of what ive done last night into today..

IMG_0427.jpg

Original Piston

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Nice clean power valve.... haha

IMG_0413.jpg

cleaning powervalve and linkage in Yamalube Ring Free

IMG_0422.jpg

Yamalube Ring Free

IMG_0410.jpg

Cylinder all cleaned up and honed with a ball hone.

IMG_0409.jpg

Cylinder Cover