Sign in to follow this  

Chain and sprocket wear

I get 20-25 hrs on a cheap combo, are the high dollar combos such as Supersprox or Iroman, going to just give me 40-50 hrs, just eliminating less replacement times, or will they last to the point of saving money? forget about any sealed chains, it's a 125, and they really drag it down, been there, done that.

If you use Ironman sprockets with a DID VT2 chain, the driveline will outlast the rest of your 125.

BTW, the VT2 is an x-ring chain, but unlike the old fashioned o-ring chains of the past, it will not slow your 125 down.

Ya know, I use renthal aluminum rear sprockets with renthal chain's and steel counter shaft sprocket. If I keep it adjusted, I've gotten 40 hours out of it before. I don't think you can get much more then that out of a chain and if you replace the chain, you need to replace the sprockets as well. I think its much better to buy the light-weight cheap stuff, then the expensive stuff. I've had both and honestly, was never that impressed with spending more money.

with the vt2 or (honda mxv) chain available there is no reason to be running non sealed chains, other than you like to adjust the chain

thanks all, tye1138, thats pretty much what i figured, but the rear aluminum is out, the teeth rip off and you're screwed, at least the steel will hang w/ worn teeth. and to the others, x..y.. and z chains are out, they weigh alot more then no ring chains and trust me, i can tell the difference, i have a sealed chain in perfect condition, i pulled off and is collecting cobwebs in the garage. so, i'm up for some more input, what's the best value in non o-ring chain and sprockets for MX on a 125, besides PD from rmatv, which i've been using......maybe i'm just grabbing at straws, chain, sprockets and tires just wear about the same amount of time, and thats it.

If you use Ironman sprockets with a DID VT2 chain, the driveline will outlast the rest of your 125.

BTW, the VT2 is an x-ring chain, but unlike the old fashioned o-ring chains of the past, it will not slow your 125 down.

true story. 80 hrs on my ironman and its still good enught for the next few dozen rides if i really wanted to.

Anyone have dyno tests that reveal how much power is lost with orings? I personally think it is negligible.I did pretty good trail riding with regular chains,but when I started hare scrambles they would only last a couple of races.

Anyone have dyno tests that reveal how much power is lost with orings? I personally think it is negligible.I did pretty good trail riding with regular chains,but when I started hare scrambles they would only last a couple of races.

It varies with the brand and type of chain. As I've already mentioned, old school o-ring chains create a lot of drag and cost HP.

I've done dyno tests and the DID VT2 x-ring chain did not cause any measurable loss of HP on the dyno.

thanks all, tye1138, thats pretty much what i figured, but the rear aluminum is out, the teeth rip off and you're screwed, at least the steel will hang w/ worn teeth. and to the others, x..y.. and z chains are out, they weigh alot more then no ring chains and trust me, i can tell the difference, i have a sealed chain in perfect condition, i pulled off and is collecting cobwebs in the garage. so, i'm up for some more input, what's the best value in non o-ring chain and sprockets for MX on a 125, besides PD from rmatv, which i've been using......maybe i'm just grabbing at straws, chain, sprockets and tires just wear about the same amount of time, and thats it.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

Ive had good luck with the gold non oring did chain and the renthal twin ring sprocket. we get the sprocket reasonable though, wouldn't pay retail for it.

depending on which non ring chain your using, the narrow VT-2 might be lighter?

check out the weight per 100 link spec:

http://www.didchain.com/chainSpecs.html

That's why I said "you can lead a horse to water...".

The VT2 is only 4 ounces heavier than the lightest conventional chain. That's about the equivalent of a snack pack of potato chips. If you can feel that, you should be a professional bike tester.

I use Vortex sprockets with a RK EXW O-ring chain and can go all year (18 races and practices in between) and they still are only half worn). 18 races and practices usually amount to 32 hours ride time and the price I pay for the combo is $113.00 including shipping.

most debated topic next to "what do i lube my chain with/how do i clean my chain"..

I really am sorry i did not take a photo of the ironman sprocket that was on my 08 when i bougth it used, it was slightly worn..so please take no offense Camp, they are very nice but do wear. I DO respect your opinion. In fairness, the chain the guy had on the bike was a clapped out non-o-ring that may have been the original, not sure. I have a feeling he switched the chains (he had two 08crf450's) giving me the junker..

THey look awesome, and i would bet they are the best steel rear out there, but are they worth the big price tag?

I am using 20$ Primary drive rears and can not be happier. And wait for it! Im using a primary drive o-ring too! (gasp! - LOL :bonk:) That chain does not have the bliing factor of the gold RK chains and top-of-the line others i have used in the past (get good discounts from Vortex from roadracing) but quite happy thus far. i have about 15hrs on the primary drive chain and it is holding up very well (NOTHIN but wd40 by the way). The primary drive rears have never shown any wear in nearly 50 hrs of use even when the chains are totally worn with rollers that you can move up and down 1/4" and can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket 1/2way up the teeth lenght.

I would love to run aluminum rear sprockets, but they will simply NOT take the abuse of a worn chain. 1 ride with a new aluminum rear on a worn chain, and you have a new sprocket with sloped teeth..

I do replace the front 13t sprockets 2:1 or even 3:1 of a rear.. the fronts naturally seeing the chain 3 times as much as the rear sprocket wear faster than the rear.

I disagree with the aluminum sprockets ripping off. I've been using aluminum sprockets in competition for years and haven't ever had a problem with them. If you pay attention to your chain tension, you will NOT have any problems.

I like the Renthal non-oring chain's, been using them since I started riding motocross and all I ride is 125's. They're pretty cheap and are just as good as the more expensive ones.

Im still on my stock chain and my second set of sprockets, both steal. Im sure my chains worn but aslong as it still works then its fine for me.. Not bad for 214 hours..

Im still on my stock chain and my second set of sprockets, both steal. Im sure my chains worn but aslong as it still works then its fine for me.. Not bad for 214 hours..

Yea, your chain is probably way toast. Quick check; If you put the bike on the ground and try to pull the chain off the rear sprocket, if it moves at all, its bad.

1999 kx250.... supersprox front and rear....DID ERVII NON-ORING CHAIN.... over 80 hrs...still going strong. o and i lube with 80-90W gear oil, cost me $2.50 to lube my chain for a year.

'nuff said. the proof is in the pudding.