Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain or tensioner?

Now that ive got rid of the loudest noises coming from the engine ive noticed that the cam chain is rattling in the engine. Cant see the chain loosing tension when cranking it over by hand but it's definitely a cam chain noise. should i replace the chain or the Acct?

DRZ400 E 2001

no idea how many miles the bike has done. Been looking about on the forum's to see if you can tell if the chain is stretched. The only thing ive found is if you set the timing marks on the valves so that there parallel with the head look to see if the TDC mark is of centre then the chain is stretched. I think that's what they were trying to say, cause if it is then when i checked mine this way. To get the timing mark's on the valves right you can no longer see the TDC mark.

This is my measurement with a new chain, about 1 3/8"

The DRZ does make a lot of noise normally, even when the cam chain is good. A lot of new DRZ owners do worry about the noise, usually the noise is normal.

If you replace the ACCT It's best to check the cam timing anyways. So If I was you I'd also check the cam timing before replacing the chain. I replaced my chain at 15,000 miles.

Picture270.jpg

I measured mine the day the same way as you. And i got a reading of 48mm dont know what that is in old money. But it's close to 2"

If you have the valves in the correct position for checking valve clearances and the timing plug is not in the sight hole then yes, your timing chain is stretched.

I measured mine the day the same way as you. And i got a reading of 48mm dont know what that is in old money. But it's close to 2"

1.89 inches, so its much longer then my new chain. Next step is to take off the cam cover. You can see my intake cam is a little off compared to my exhaust. I'm guessing yours will be off by even more.

Picture188.jpg