Sign in to follow this  

anybody with the 2012 yz250f?

Hows it been running? hows the jetting? I know honda went with the bigger carb and it ruined jetting for it, hows the starting, handling and power compared to other bike?

I didn't get mine until Dec 9th (30 degrees)so I had to richen the pilot and needle; after that all was good. The motor is definitely better than my 2009yz and better than the 2011yz I had ridden; it revs faster with more mid to top just like everyone has been saying. I only weigh 150 so I had to back the rear spring out alot to get the sag correct but after that I like the handling better than my 2009. It really does seem to be better in everyway compared to my 2009. The mags say good things about it suspension, handling and motor but then they still knock the lack of fuel injection. .

PS:

I also rode a friends 2010 cr250f and I liked the motor of my 12 yz250f better. I always have liked the way Honda fit and feel but I feel the Yami will handle as well as the Honda after break in and a couple of clicks on the adjusters.

Edited by brianrch

I didn't get mine until Dec 9th (30 degrees)so I had to richen the pilot and needle; after that all was good. The motor is definitely better than my 2009yz and better than the 2011yz I had ridden; it revs faster with more mid to top just like everyone has been saying. I only weigh 150 so I had to back the rear spring out alot to get the sag correct but after that I like the handling better than my 2009. It really does seem to be better in everyway compared to my 2009. The mags say good things about it suspension, handling and motor but then they still knock the lack of fuel injection. .

PS:

I also rode a friends 2010 cr250f and I liked the motor of my 12 yz250f better. I always have liked the way Honda fit and feel but I feel the Yami will handle as well as the Honda after break in and a couple of clicks on the adjusters.

How's the starting? If I do get it im going to send the carb to tokyo mods to help with jetting and get a revalve. Ya I own a 09 crf250r and the handling is pretty sweet. I hate the starting though sometimes it'll start first kick other times it doesn't start all valves in spec. I like though that the yamaha is probably one of the most reliable bikes

Seems to me that people that complained about the 10/11 are still saying the same things about the 12. I would imagine the '12 is a little better starting point than the 10/11 and I havent read or heard of anyone saying the '12 is worse. But basically, it is still the same motor and still carbed, which is a turn-off for some people. But ask '10+ owners and most will tell you that it's very easy to get the bike dialed in and race-ready. I love the handling and suspension of my 2010. The top end wakes up with an exhaust, air4orce and 1 tooth less. Any bogging can be resolved by a carb mod from Tokyo Mods, eleven10 etc (or a R&D Powerbowl) and you are good to go. Btw, my neighbor has an 09 CRF250 and he has carb problems/bogs and also starting issues. The 10/11 has no such issues as mine starts right up and never really bogged (worst I experienced was a very slight hesitation on g-outs or very hard landings with the throttle pinned) but as I said, just get the carb mod. I can't speak for the '12 on those last 2 things, but I have yet to hear anything negative.

Seems to me that people that complained about the 10/11 are still saying the same things about the 12. I would imagine the '12 is a little better starting point than the 10/11 and I havent read or heard of anyone saying the '12 is worse. But basically, it is still the same motor and still carbed, which is a turn-off for some people. But ask '10+ owners and most will tell you that it's very easy to get the bike dialed in and race-ready. I love the handling and suspension of my 2010. The top end wakes up with an exhaust, air4orce and 1 tooth less. Any bogging can be resolved by a carb mod from Tokyo Mods, eleven10 etc (or a R&D Powerbowl) and you are good to go. Btw, my neighbor has an 09 CRF250 and he has carb problems/bogs and also starting issues. The 10/11 has no such issues as mine starts right up and never really bogged (worst I experienced was a very slight hesitation on g-outs or very hard landings with the throttle pinned) but as I said, just get the carb mod. I can't speak for the '12 on those last 2 things, but I have yet to hear anything negative.

Ya I don't know what it is about about the honda. Im kind of scared of th e new 12 yz because they went with a bigger carb so it may make it like my crf.I like how light the yz is compared to some of the efi bikes , they all turned into pigs! Id rather have a light bike then efi. But ya carb mod should work for it, I've read good reviews on here for tokyo mods so that may be who im going with

I don't want to blindly make assumptions, but i don't think Yamaha would take a step backwards with this motor. It's been around for too long and I can't see them doing something to it that would make it problematic (not knocking Honda by saying this). I haven't ridden a '12 yet but I would buy one without hesitation if I was considering the YZf as a new bike. If anything, I would say this is the 1 250f that you could buy with confidence that it is gonna hold up and be 100% reliable in every way. The only down-side is that some view it as outdated (and not quite as race-ready as the Kawi). These are just my own opinions though, hopefully some guys that have ridden/own the '12 can also chime in.

I don't want to blindly make assumptions, but i don't think Yamaha would take a step backwards with this motor. It's been around for too long and I can't see them doing something to it that would make it problematic (not knocking Honda by saying this). I haven't ridden a '12 yet but I would buy one without hesitation if I was considering the YZf as a new bike. If anything, I would say this is the 1 250f that you could buy with confidence that it is gonna hold up and be 100% reliable in every way. The only down-side is that some view it as outdated (and not quite as race-ready as the Kawi). These are just my own opinions though, hopefully some guys that have ridden/own the '12 can also chime in.

ya the kawi seems so tempting and i can get it for about 200$ more than the yzf, but if they are more race ready and less reliable than it may not be worth it. Plus they are about 7 lbs more

I hear ya. i really considered the Kawi last year, when I was looking at new bikes too. I'm sure they are nice. In the end, I choose the Yami because I trusted the reliability and I wasn't too sure about the handling on the Kawi either. It might be good but I haven't ever rode a KX that really impressed me much handling-wise. I mean, there are guys out there that are gonna stand behind every brand/model, but I feel like the Yamaha has a lot to offer across the board and it's very easy to get power out of the motor. Go with the carb mod and a few bolt-ons mentioned above and you can't really go wrong with a bike that already handles great and has top notch suspension. Plus it's simple to work on and is the lighest of the bunch.

Totally agree with AH...Yamaha is bulltproof with great suspension? Also GYTR makes some great stuff for it!

My friend is a local pro MX and does AA in off-road events. He recently started racing the 12 in low-key winter races and likes it. Says it is very fast especially with some minor mods. He came off a 2011 KX250F, often regarded as the best 250F lately, and so far has no regrets. We'll see how he feels when temps warm up and hot summer racing starts.

How's the starting? If I do get it im going to send the carb to tokyo mods to help with jetting and get a revalve. Ya I own a 09 crf250r and the handling is pretty sweet. I hate the starting though sometimes it'll start first kick other times it doesn't start all valves in spec. I like though that the yamaha is probably one of the most reliable bikes

Seems to start as easy as my 2009 YZ250f. I think the Yami are the easiest starting even compared to the fuel injected bikes that like to be at top dead center. The durability of the yami is what I love; and they still do everything well

Seems to start as easy as my 2009 YZ250f. I think the Yami are the easiest starting even compared to the fuel injected bikes that like to be at top dead center. The durability of the yami is what I love; and they still do everything well

Thats good to hear! EFI seems like it may be great, but all the bikes gained a ton of weight(besides honda). Number one thing i was worried about was starting. Next would be handling, and durability, well yamaha is one of the best

Thats good to hear! EFI seems like it may be great, but all the bikes gained a ton of weight(besides honda). Number one thing i was worried about was starting. Next would be handling, and durability, well yamaha is one of the best

Well if those are your main selling points, then the Yamaha is probably right up your alley. It starts just fine, handling is awesome and most reliable. Like I said, the motor is good in stock form but not great. It is very easy to get what you want out of it and then factor in that you already have great handling, suspension and reliability. Good luck with your choice.

i thought theay changed the frame to make it more stable and works better with rear shock?

Any updates, particularly regarding stability compared to 10/11 models? IS the low end equal to or better than 10/11 (will be used primarily off-road)?

Thanks.

Hows it been running? hows the jetting? I know honda went with the bigger carb and it ruined jetting for it, hows the starting, handling and power compared to other bike?

errmmmm, the 2012 honda is fuel injected....

errmmmm, the 2012 honda is fuel injected....

He is referring to when a few years ago how Honda jumped from a 37mm carb to a 40mm and it caused a lot of problems. For 2012 Yamaha went to a bigger carb, over the 10/11 models and was wondering if they had similar problems.

He is referring to when a few years ago how Honda jumped from a 37mm carb to a 40mm and it caused a lot of problems. For 2012 Yamaha went to a bigger carb, over the 10/11 models and was wondering if they had similar problems.

Ohhh, my bad, misunderstood.... :banghead: