What's the Best Dual Sport/Race bike

Hi, I am new here. I am looking for a multi purpose bike, something I can ride around town, trail ride and race a few Enduros/Hare Scrambles a year. something more dirt than street. I currently own a 2007 KTM 300 XCW and I just don't ride it much. I think if I had a bike that was street legal I would ride it more. I am 47, 5' 11", 250# and a senior C rider. I have been riding for over 35 years. The only 4 stroke bike I have had was a (new)1987 XR250 which was a good bike and a lot of fun to ride at the time. I really like the KTM's the new 350 and 500 EXC but the price is over my budget. I did find a used 2010 Husky TE310 for $4600. and a left over 2010 Husky TE450 haven't heard back on the price of that one. I don't know a lot about the Huskys, they seem like great bikes. One problem is the nearest Husky dealer is 3 and half hours away. The nearest KTM dealer is only 30 to 40 minutes away.

Any help would be great,

Ash

I hear ya loud and clear on the $$$$$ involved with the Euro bikes. Wonderful bikes but very expensive and temperamental. Not much aftermarket for most Euro bikes. Too many one off parts available only at the dealer and soooooo costly. The Euro manufactures do not seem to provide support for their machines. As soon as the bike is out of production or “remodeled” the manufacture will abandon the old platform and expect you pony up another $11,000 for a new steed. If you can afford and like to buy a new bike every couple years, this is not a problem.

I finally went with a DRZ400S. It’s not a race bike for anything anywhere. But a good solid recreational bike for weekend warriors.

Check out the WR250R and the DRZ400S, then theres the TE250/310/450/etc, honda has the 650L, and will soon come out with a new CRF250L, which could be worth the wait if your a honda guy.

most of those are not even remotely close to race

only the TE line are race quality

the gear ratios will leave you wanting lower offroad or higher onroad take your pick, they keep spreading rumors they will eventually put a wide ratio gearbox in them, budget time and work changing sprockets

if your like me and you like to ride to where you offroad, it just does not work, the ktm/husaberg is by far the best race and ride to work the next day bike. I'ts a race bike with blinkers, and you get a low 1st and high 6th gear, once you remove the smog crap and rejet.

only thing I dont like is the small oil capacity, I think they may have finally addressed that in the 500 engine

I found a new left over 2010 Husky TE 450 for $7600. Anyone have any experience with this model?

I got my left-over 2010 TE450 13 months ago for $6995. Added 1 tooth to the CSS and I can climb anything my friends can climb.

Last year for the Italian motor, I have 6000 miles on mine, no problems except for gummed up fuel pump I replaced early on with a Ducati pump for $150

This Husky holds almost 2 quarts of oil, the same as my Kawasaki 650 Versys twin.

Here's my ongoing diary on the bike over at Cafe Husky.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/dual-sporting-a-2010-te-450-with-cheap-tricks.15347/

Husky6kMiles2.jpg

Husky6kMiles1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found a 95 KTM 400 EXC LC4 with just over 4000 miles, in really good shape for $1500. If I got that one I would just keep my 07 KTM 300 XCW for racing. I also found a 2004 Husqvarna TE 450 in excellent shape with a lot of extras, has 126 hrs for $3000. Anyone have any experience with either of these bikes?

I had a 2004 TE250 for a very short period of time. I bought it damaged...the kick start assembly hung up and cracked the case. I later learned that was a common problem on that particular model...Im not sure if that was an issue on the 450 or not. Personally, I would choose any older KTM over an older Husqvarna. With that said, '95 is getting fairly old.

Get a Husky TE 511..... They don't have the first or 6th gear of a burg ( but do have the same 2nd and 5th) .... My 2012 seems to be a great choice for me and stock gearing will allow you to barely be able to cruise the freeway and seems to have decent trail riding gears( not goat trails)... I changed my stock 15t to a 13t and my gearing is good for the ugliest slow trails now.... I would go with iether the husky or 2012 KTM 500......

I havent priced new KTMs in a while, but that seems a little steep...I am assuming $8199 is without tax? If it doesnt include tax, you would be looking at about $9400...damn.

One of the guys I ride with the most owns a 2008 530 EXC. He isnt particularly slow, but he is in his 50s. They are both excellent bikes, with very usable power for trails, but the 530 has more torque. You can go wrong with either. With that being said, I would never eat the depreciation on a new bike...but thats just me.

Again, that sounds high, but Im not familiar with bike prices in your area. That bike would go for about $4K around here. That is almost the exact bike my riding buddy owns, his is a 2008 530 XC-W. Im not aware of any problems from his bike or any of the many 450 EXCs Ive been around. Some interesting info about his bike..he designed a homemade coolant overflow on his bike which worked great for a few years, until earlier last year, vibration wore a hole in the overflow and it ran the bike out of coolant. He noticed the clutch not working very well, then it just died with a puff of smoke out the pipe...the engine was scorching hot. He checked the radiators and they were bone dry. He let it cool, filled it with some water from a Camel Back, and drove it back to camp..never touched the engine. It still runs as strong as ever. Not to serve you too much orange koolaid...the WRs are also excellent bikes, from personal experience.

I haven't found any good deals on used bikes lately. I did check with a local KTM dealer today and found a left over 2011 450 EXC for $8089. + tax and a 2012 500 EXC for $8918. + tax. The 450 seemed a little high for a left over but the 500 is about the best price I have found.