Sign in to follow this  

Center Clutch

Hi guys,

How bad is it if your missing a spline tooth off the center clutch:banghead: Will the clutch still operate proper with one missing :bonk:?

broke it off using a hub holder huh putting the center nut on/off.. LOL. Will work fine, been there.. done that.

A ProX hub isnt much money. Retail is only 58 bucks. Id rather have a new one....

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=781

And you only need roughly 40 ft bls on that...how'd you break a tooth off it?

..sadly, it's pretty easy if you are using a clutch hub holding tool (the vice grip kind), as your banging it on with an impact the tools teeth slip off the end of the splines and you break the end of the spline off.. Especially with the metals, there are like 40 other teeth of the hub for the metal plate to ride on. It will not affect a thing. I fabed one with an old metal plate welded to a handle.

Ya I went and bought a fancy vice grip clutch holder for 35 bucks thinking I had it made. That's what broke it 59ft lbs is kind of a lot of force on a aluminum part. Next time I might put a socket inside the clutch and install the clutch outer press plates etc and jam the gears with a jammer and tighten it threw the lifter hole with a extension.

Thanks for the help again guys.

Cheers

With the vise grip style holder. You open the pliers, screw them closed under no pressure, re open and give it maybe one turn and always make sure that when you tighten the clutch assy back to recommended torque spec that you brace the pliers against the larger splines where the pressure wil be applied... They work great if you follow that procedure and don't give it the gorilla grip.

With the vise grip style holder. You open the pliers, screw them closed under no pressure, re open and give it maybe one turn and always make sure that when you tighten the clutch assy back to recommended torque spec that you brace the pliers against the larger splines where the pressure wil be applied... They work great if you follow that procedure and don't give it the gorilla grip.

yes, agree, "if".. :bonk: I have heard of people bending the center hub having clamped too hard.

Ya thanks guys. I am aware of that those vise grips could warp it easy and I did have it in the larger splines. Just bad luck I guess