Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E Noisey silencer

Dumb ass question maybe, but i was at a bike store and mentioned being sick of the noisey standard exhaust. The guy told me the end can just needed repacking. Is this correct? I didnt think the end can was servicable as you cant pull the end can sleeve off. Does the middle tube pull out with the wadding or something?

thanks

Sam

The UK DRZ400E exhaust is different than the US version so I can't say for sure but I'm not aware that there is any packing to replace. The US version is a baffled chamber and is fairly quiet. The UK version is straight thru and very loud. As far as I know, that is just the way it is. Your best bet for a quieter exhaust is to buy a US version muffler. Should be able to buy one cheap but shipping will be a killer.

Yup uk E version is just obnoxiously loud as standard,just the way they were,mine was the same back in 01,not a lot you can do with that other than getting a different silencer.

On the positive side, the stock US E model silencer is nice and quiet and still runs pretty good. There probably aren't many bikes out there that are this quiet and run this good. Might be worth the cost.

If it's noisey, it's probably had the end cap modified,(cut out) if you were not the original owner?

If that's the case, Another unmodified end cap should quieten it down...

If it's noisey, it's probably had the end cap modified,(cut out) if you were not the original owner?

If that's the case, Another unmodified end cap should quieten it down...

Incorrect - UK 'E' model's were so loud as std, they struggled to get past scrutineering at many races coz there is no baffle / perforated tube in the silencer - it is just an emtpy can. Crazy decision from Suzuki

You could make an absorption type silencer for it by fitting a perforated tube into the silencer can, which will then allow you to add some packing to quieten it down a bit (i did this, and it works reasonably well)

Other than that, an aftermarket silencer is your best bet

Incorrect - UK 'E' model's were so loud as std, they struggled to get past scrutineering at many races coz there is no baffle / perforated tube in the silencer - it is just an emtpy can. Crazy decision from Suzuki

You could make an absorption type silencer for it by fitting a perforated tube into the silencer can, which will then allow you to add some packing to quieten it down a bit (i did this, and it works reasonably well)

Other than that, an aftermarket silencer is your best bet

Just as I already posted ...... :bonk:

Thanks guys. GuyGraham verified what I thought. The silencer is ridiculous and a sealed end can. There is a local exhaust guy near to me. I will see if he can cut the end off and replace the internals with a perforated and packed tube and put the end cap back on.

Thanks for the comments. They were helpful and saved me wasting my time.

Mmmmm..That's odd.....I thought you guys got the same E model as Australia.....:bonk:

Mine is like that Craig, without the end cap it's just a big F@#King hole.

Went like crap till I replaced the complete exhaust.