Sign in to follow this  

1991 XR250-road ish tyres?

I just bought one of these and as i am going to use it as winter transport between home and the train station and not really into off road riding what tyres should i look at?

I still want some knobbles as we are expecting snow.

Cheers

Ray

5 people = 7 opinions on tires

just about any 70/30, 80/20 dualsport tire will do

don't think there is any one that is REALLY that much better

I am cheap and have Kenda K270s on my more street oriented XR250LC

awaiting a set of Duro 904/903s to see for myself the KLR-guys are correct about a 70/30-tire with great mileage and nice price

the 650R runs on BT45, but as full-blown street tires they might not be your first choice in the snow (or are the roads dry most of the time, like they are south of the chunnel?)

perelli mt 21/mt16 front rear combo isnt a bad choice. ther dot tires for on road usage and a hard terain tire fo roff road. when i boyught my 400 that was on there and i used the tires for a while, not bad but i was mostly in sand.

Make sure they are DOT aproved or police will have field day with you :-)

I bought some Matrix and wont be getting any more cos they do skip around on the tarmac... probably going to go back to original tyres (IRC)

do you Brits not go by the same laws as the rest of the Europeans?

thought you did not need a DOT tire but one with load and speed rating to fit your bike?

No... we have 20 miles of water between us and the Europeans thats why we dont use the Euro!!!! Still on ££££ ;-)

Running an XR with:-

No indicators

No Mirrors

No Ignition/battery

Stickers all over it

...and then the big one!!!! No Baffles lol

I think the reason why its not been nicked yet is that the police arnt too far away lol

Got to have DOT tyres or you can kiss ur licence/bike goodbye

I just bought one of these and as i am going to use it as winter transport between home and the train station and not really into off road riding what tyres should i look at?

I still want some knobbles as we are expecting snow.

Cheers

Ray

Snow and ice? Studded tires. Or using your car is the best.

When I was looking at Dual-sport tires, the Shinko 244 tire was getting slightly better reviews than the Kenda 270. I might try them next.

The Pirelli MT21 tires are excellent. I liked them better in dirt than the stock Dunlop 490 front / 695 rear.

Dual Sport police bikes out here are often fitted with Dunlop 606's if they are going to be used off-road.

The wife and kids have the car, last year I had a bmw k100rs with a r100rs fairing, it took me over an hour to do 10 miles and I dropped it outside my house.

I may keep whats on it till it gets a bit warmer as I had only been on the bike once for 15 miles and it feel a bit different to my gpz900r.

Thanks guys,great site

Cheers

Ray