Sign in to follow this  

Tons o mud around front sprocket ... will damage seal ?

I just got a new Dunlop rear 120 ... damn mud travels from edge of tire up chain and piles up around front sprocket and TOTALLY packs mud into sprocket guard etc :banana:

freaking oozes out the holes in the sprocket guard and completely covers sprocket etc :busted:

Question is will all that packed mud damage the seal behind the sprocket ??

Never really noticed this until i got the wider tire ... today it piled up soooo much/high it got around bottom of carb etc and totally dragged the bike down like the brakes were on ... pissing me off guess i wont ride when so muddy :smirk:

Anybody damaged there seal from tons o mud ???

Thanks in advance :bonk:

you can trim the majority of the face of the guard off to prevent the mud from packing between the guard and the sprocket. I have 4 bikes and all four guards are trimmed and i have never experienced any issues with mud packing between the sprocket and guard after performing this mod. Hope this helps.

Hornet

yes it will damage the seal, just remove the guard but keep the steel guard in front of the sproket in place just in case you derail a chain it want damage the case, you do not need the guard, it's only a mud catcher,

thanks for info wish i wud of thought to remove guard before riding :smirk:

Just spent an hour cleaning / soaking and relubing chain / sprockets :bonk:

Thats the last time i ride in such muddy conditions .. not worth the time spent to clean etc ... pretty shatty traction anyway on a kx250 in mud :banana:

yes it will damage the seal, just remove the guard but keep the steel guard in front of the sproket in place just in case you derail a chain it want damage the case, you do not need the guard, it's only a mud catcher,

+1

That plastic guard just causes problems in the woods/mud. Leave the actual aluminum case saver in place though.

it's the dust that you guy's ride in but it's wet,:bonk: