Sign in to follow this  

California status of elkins trails 31, 26, 27,28,29 are they clear of blowdown

The forest service has cleared trail 25 but does anyone know how

trails 31, 26, 27,28,29 are ?

did they clear them ?

Thanks

No.

We rode pretty much all of those trails last weekend and they are passable but tons of downed trees.

....Who is "they"?......

Carry a saw like I do and you too will become "they"........

• Like 1

....Who is "they"?......

For the most part, recently "THEY" would be the Polka Dots MC. Some of our club members have been working with the FS the last few weeks both clearing downed trees and providing the FS with GPS coordinates on others. Some areas have just too much down for the Dots to do, and some of the down trees are just too big to handle with the smaller saws that can be carried on a bike.

It's all an exorcise in futility anyway. The FS will be closing the forest to off-road use January 1st, regardless of conditions, and by the time they open it up again in the late Spring there will be tons more trees down.

Trail 25 was cleared by the forest service. I came upon them while riding 1 week after the wind storm. I was surprised to see them out there so quick (or at all)

Sounds like they did trail 25 and called it a year.

Thanks

....Who is "they"?......

I carry a 14" chain saw but only when I know what work lies ahead.

Its a buzz kill to ride with it otherwise.

You carry a handsaw ?

Trail 25 was cleared by the forest service. I came upon them while riding 1 week after the wind storm. I was surprised to see them out there so quick (or at all)

Sounds like they did trail 25 and called it a year.

Thanks

Yeah, that was the first weekend the Polka Dots were up there clearing trail. The FS contacted us asking for help, and a few members were able to get up there. Our guys cleared some of the smaller stuff, and located (GPS way-points) a bunch more for the FS to handle. We have had guys up there two more times since then, again doing some clearing, but mostly sending the FS locations of what is down. They have completed this on trails 26 and 31, and I'm sure any of you that have been up there can confirm that there is a lot of work to do. Unfortunately I haven't made it up there myself, but it sounds like the upper part of trail 26, up on Plummer Ridge, is a disaster, and a few places on 31 have huge trees down.

Of course this is just a prelude to what will be down by Spring if we have anything near a normal Winter. And don't forget that this is our last few days to get up there and ride before the ridiculous seasonal closure starts on Sunday.

I carry a 14" chain saw but only when I know what work lies ahead.

Its a buzz kill to ride with it otherwise.

You carry a handsaw ?

Yes I do in the wintertime - a Corona razor saw can do amazing work!

I looped trail 25 and it appears that the FS (and others) have done 80% of the clearing

There are a couple of monster logs, but the go arounds are easy enough.

Dam only if i could figure out how to carry my big 32" bar Husqvarna on me. :bonk:

One of the only logs we saw yesterday on 25.

log.jpg

We got a little "lost" and one rider decided to take a swim. :bonk:

river.jpg