Sign in to follow this  

no spark, thinking coil?

i have no spark on an 04 that im working on. im testing the coil input and when i kick it over im getting at least 220v. im thinking coil just looking for some more input before i dump 100$ on a coil. thanks all!!:bonk:

Check out the manual and it shows how to check the resistance of the components with an ohm meter. It will help eliminate some guesswork. If you don't have a manual, yOu should be able to find a free download on the web

yea i did ohm it out. (the coil) per manual and it was over the spec bit not by much, i should of menchiond that in the post. im not positive at the moment bit i think it was only 10 ohms more

well im still lost. did you have the proper voltage at the coil? i visually inspected the flywheel and i diddent see anything wrong with it? the stator ohmed out ok, but i know it could still be bad.

but i have 220+ volts going in the coil. i would think if anything was wrong with the stator or flywheel i wouldent have any or little voltage.

would the crank sensor cause a no spark issue? i was checking it for peak voltage and i wasent getting much. but i dont have the peak voltage special tool, im using a top of the line fluke meter but im thinking its not fast enough.

any help would be greatly appreated!

I don't think I was ever successful at checking the voltage. I am not an expert by any means on this, but did go through the process outlined in the manual. I guess the crank sensor would tell the cdi when to spark so if it was bad it would not spark. Everything ohm'd out okay on mine and it ended up being the flywheel which was pretty strange.

i just orderd a supposebly good coil and wire from ebay, im gonna try that. but all the reading up im doing the odds are that it not the problem. but weel see. stators and cdi's seem to be popular items. all this reading up on the electrical issues on these bikes is really depressing.

i was reading many no spark threads on the kx and rmx forum and they frustrate me cause no one was posting the fix! im gonna be shure to post my findings here :bonk: