Sign in to follow this  

cr80 behavior

After getting some more riding time in on my 2002 cr80, I have noticed a few things that might be problems, but I am not sure.

First: When going down a road, not accelerating, holding a steady throttle the idle does not sound as consistent as when accelerating it sounds somewhat like when the bike idles without any throttle. When accelerating, it sounds very smooth, and has lots of power. What I have gathered from reading other threads is that the jetting could be wrong, and the fuel/air screw could be adjusted to fix it in some cases. But these threads were with bigger bikes, and perhaps a smaller bike like an 80 just performs like this.

Second: Im new to two strokes (and all dirt bikes) and im not very sure of how they are supposed to sound lean or rich. When in first or second after reving past the power band it sounds like the engine just doesnt have any more and kind of bogs. Here is a video on youtube that i found that sounds like it (not me) -

-

To me it sounds lean, but im not sure.

One more thing: When started up cold, the bike idles without any throttle, but after getting warmed up, it wont stay very long without throttle.

I did a compression test and it read around 125 psi, it had a new top end a few months ago, and has fmf powerlight reeds.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be very appreciated. Sorry if I have missed a similar thread to this, but I went through lots of others and found some hints, but most were on bigger bikes and not honda's.

Thanks

I dont understand what you are saying about the clutch control, I did not hold in the clutch or anything.

And for the idle, i thought it could have been some kind of hint to a jetting problem. Thanks though, ill adjust accordingly to a warm engine.

going downthe road and the bike sounding choppy is how 2stroke dirtbikes run.

that bog to me sounds like it needs to be richened up.