Sign in to follow this  

brake help on a 150f with cr80 front end

Finishing up my conversion. Bought some el cheapo pads on eBay for the caliper. I did the complete front end swap from a cr80 expert. (triples, wheel, caliper etc)

The drama is that when I install the front wheel, the axle does not locate correctly. It appears the pads are to thick and push the rotor, mis-aligning the forks and the axle spacers.

The pads off the donor were just the backing plates, no material.

Backing plate thickness is the same on the stock vs. the eBay ones.

Any idea what the overall pad thickness is supposed to be?

Any other ideas?

Stock pads maybe?

Darren

There is only a finite amount of space there, even cheap pads don't offer more thickness of material... they a just made from cheaper material and will wear out faster and provide less grab ability under braking.

there is another issue that is causing your woe's...

If I understand you correctly, I think you're saying the front brake pads are too thick to get over the rotor. If that is what you are saying, that's easy. You just have to grab a big, fat screwdriver and basically pry those pads until they are wide enough.

Do it slowly. You don't want to break anything, but that's normal. The pads are not wrong or too thick. Simple fix. You're good.

Typically you will have to squeeze your pistons back into the calipers to give them the space for the new pads. Often the seals keep them extended and don't let them retract all the way back in. You may have to take the caliper apart and clean it so it moves smoothly.

Swiss

Thanks Swiss and Tone. As a racer of all things engine powered, this was not my first brake rodeo. I bought the cr80 expert roller ($100!!) and promptly disassembled and shipped the triples to Reger and the forks to Hlebo. Upon tearing it apart, I noticed the front pads gone, it was just the backing plates. I ordered a set of pads. I cleaned the caliper, slider pins and reset the piston. I installed the pads and tried to assemble the front wheel. Here is the problem. I have ordered a caliper rebuild kit and will go that route. The best I can tell, the piston is reset fully in its bore. Hopefully the rebuild kit with new seals and such will shed light on the problem. I thought perhaps there were supposed to be washers to shim the caliper from the fork leg, but a quick check of the schematics showed this not to be the case. The interesting thing is it is not the piston side that rubs and throws it into mis-alignment. It is the stationary or the side closest to the wheel that is rubbing. (hence the reason for thinking it needed washers to shim it out)

Keep the ideas coming. It will be about a week before the kit is here and I want to ride it so bad!

Darren

If all of the parts are CR80 stuff then it should bolt together. Bearing spacer and associated parts will determine the position of the disk relative to the fork leg and caliper mount. You can check the online parts store fiches for the idea of a spacer washer but probably not done. You didn't mention that it was the pin side of the caliper that was rubbing. That is definately mis-alignment. Wheel spacers reversed and different sizes? No center spacer in the hub and the bearing set too deep? Just throwing out some options! Wrong wheel bearing (too narrow)? You can always have the inner pad cut for clearance, but that isn't the real problem.

Swiss

Fluid Power,

Well, forgive me then. I didn't realized you had covered all that ground. Sounds like it wasn't as simple as I thought. Too bad I didn't read the post earlier. I have a CR80 brake system in my garage just waiting to go away. Oh well. Good luck on the brakes.

If all of the parts are CR80 stuff then it should bolt together. Bearing spacer and associated parts will determine the position of the disk relative to the fork leg and caliper mount. You can check the online parts store fiches for the idea of a spacer washer but probably not done. You didn't mention that it was the pin side of the caliper that was rubbing. That is definately mis-alignment. Wheel spacers reversed and different sizes? No center spacer in the hub and the bearing set too deep? Just throwing out some options! Wrong wheel bearing (too narrow)? You can always have the inner pad cut for clearance, but that isn't the real problem.

Swiss

I did not put new bearings in the hub. Since the pads were non-existent, I would not have noticed the mis-alignment before tear down. The fiche shows the same spacer for both sides. Time for a tear off and look see. I will keep you in the loop!

I agree about the pads, not the best option.

Good ideas though!

Darren

You should try to use the 150F caliper with the Reger adapter. It wil provide far better braking.

Thanks for the tip. In case you didn't read the thread, I bought a roller CR85 expert for a 100 bucks. I was using the expert front wheel so i could do the whole thing as cheap as possible since it is just a play bike. Using the entire 85 front end means I did not have to buy wheel spacers and the Reger brake adapter saving me a ton of dough.

Darren