Sign in to follow this  

Back Ache Only When I Sleep

Ok i had a bad accident back in 2000 burst t12 had to have a bone graft and rods put in my back , now 12 years on my back feels as good as it did before the accident no pain at all ,i work hard and play hard any sport with no effect . BUT when i sleep at night , I go to bed feeling great then after about 4 hours my back aches quite bad that it wakes me up ,it seems to go if i sit up so i'm sleeping a 90* then after a while i can lay back down again .this cycle goes on through the night and i wake up very tierd . TBH its getting on my nerves as i've not had a full night sleep in about 7 or 8 years ,It doesn't matter what bed i sleep in its the same every night . I'm not asking for a cure here (although ant help is greatfuly recieved) just an ides why it does this at night and not all the time ? .

It sounds to me that your mattress is youre enemy, here. If your mattress is more than 10 years old or is too soft, it's highly likely that it's the culpret. You can make it more supportive by sliding a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood between the mattress and box spring, but the real solution is to buy a new mattress.

I for one have found the Temprapedic mattresses to be a godsend. On separate visits I insisted that my daughters give it a try while I slept in the guest room, and now they both have Temprapedics. They have the longes warranty available and do not need to be rotated like a conventional mattress.

yeah, what kinda mattress do you normally sleep on? look into a memory foam or a sleep number. goodluck.

I've tried several different types , even a very expensive tempra memory foam (£600) one they were all the same .

I couldnt sleep more than 30 minutes on a hard firm mattress lol

super soft broken in old mattress is the only thing that works for me, or a sleepnumber on deflated

• Like 1

Wato, since you've explored the mattress market and didn't come up with something that works for you, perhaps you should consult with your orthopedist. He may have some options that remain unknown to you.

I have no injury that I am aware of but found out by accident what works for me. I used to start off on my back and toss and turn during the night. Side to side results in a shoulder kink. Flat on my back and it will ache, and won't stay on my stomach, always rocking from one side to the other.

Anyways I need a nice wide good sized height knee pillow with a bend so my knees are slightly bent and it takes off the pressure in lower back. Also they have some small profile pillows that are soft but don't collapse in the middle. Just a bit under my neck and the bed, not enough to kink anything.

The specific one piece pillows are better so you don't kick them out of the way like a mound of pillows/blankets.

Sounds weird but peeing during the night helps me a bunch. Whenever you wake up, go pee. I don't know if holding your pee presses on the kidneys or what, but I sure feel better in my back when I take the chance to get rid of the fluids. Oh, and I own a furniture store and a good mattress can't hurt. I sell all sorts of mattresses, from regular old innerspring types to Tempurpedic to gel to latex. I LOVE latex! It really helps to relieve all of the pressure points. Tempur is good, but the latex beds do an even better job. Englander mattress out of Portland, Or. makes one of the best latex matts in the business IMO. Good luck.

BUT when i sleep at night , I go to bed feeling great then after about 4 hours my back aches quite bad that it wakes me up ,it seems to go if i sit up so i'm sleeping a 90* then after a while i can lay back down again .this cycle goes on through the night and i wake up very tierd . TBH its getting on my nerves as i've not had a full night sleep in about 7 or 8 years

Hi , have you had any osteo / physio in the last few years..??

my guess is someting is mildly misaligned - wear and tear,

your muscles keep it all in check when you are awake and upright,

but once you've nooded off it slumps out of position,

personally,

I use co-codamol ( decent strong painkiller - over the counter) when my knackered leg is likely to keep me awake at night,

take 2, at 8 and 10 pm ,

you'll feel free of their "dozy" effects by morning,

Charlie - Oxford

I have had lower back problems for almost 30 years. When I was young, swimming was great rehab. But the best advice I have ever gottten, was a year or so ago. It was to walk twice a day for one half hour each time. Only stopping to stretch.

I bring this up because twice a day is difficult and time consuming. I usually end up just with one good walk a day. this keeps me maintenanced

Anyway, If I don't get this in at least once, my back starts hurting while I sleep that night. And my night ends up similar to yours.

Try walking.

Good Luck

Jeff