Sign in to follow this  

stainless bolts?

im wondering if there is a kit you can buy that replaces all the oem case bolts with stainless steel ones. on my 00 250 im missing one or two out of water pump and clutch cover so im trying to just get a kit for both sides. any suggestions would be nice

Though not a kit, Pro-Bolt...

http://www.pro-bolt.com/stainless-steel.html

...has about any SS fastener you could want.

Be sure to use some sort of anti-seize with stainless fasteners. :bonk:

Stainless steel is comprised of softer-than-steel alloys. If installed dry (without thread lubricant), you run the risk of thread galling, especially if you install the bolt or nut quickly (generating frictional heat). Depending on the application, it’s best to provide some type of lubricant, such as oil, moly or thread sealant, to stainless threads to help ensure against potential galling.
http://www.hotrodandrestoration.com/engine-drivetrain/10-things-you-should-know-about-threaded-fasteners/

Be sure to use some sort of anti-seize with stainless fasteners.

Sound advise there. Especially if you use bolt/nut combos or fine pitch threads. Stainless is prone to galling and seizing.

can I ask why you would go stainless steel over OEM?

They aren't as strong as a good quality steel bolt and they cost twice as much.

On the plus side, he probably wants them because they resist rusting and they're pretty.

Ti bolts look even better, but they cost thousands for a full bike setup.

Yamaha OE fasteners, especially from the 2000 era, have anti-corrosion coatings that make them a better option than stainless. Stainless tends to promote bimetallic corrosion with aluminum, whereas the dark green zinc chromate on the OE fasteners significantly inhibits any attack of the aluminum.

• Like 1

ok this is good to hear..i just was thinkin it mghtbe cheaper and easier to get a set in ss over oem.. so il just order them oem. thank ya

Yamaha OE fasteners, especially from the 2000 era, have anti-corrosion coatings that make them a better option than stainless. Stainless tends to promote bimetallic corrosion with aluminum, whereas the dark green zinc chromate on the OE fasteners significantly inhibits any attack of the aluminum.

100% true. I stick to OEM bolts (very strictly) for their high quality, and as you said, they don't corrode the aluminum. OEM stuff is really well thought out.

As far as I know Ti bolts won't make aluminum corrode like SS fasteners will. But I've read/heard that Ti fasteners have a serious issue with galling. In fact I've heard that it takes special coatings to prevent it. Otherwise you're forced to use steel nuts on the Ti bolts as an alternative.

Depending what kind of riding; enduro or offroad I'd choose allen head bolts. Allen tools are lighter and take less space.

That's a good idea if you're packing a tool kit. One issue is that 'Allen' or socket-head bolts pack up with mud. Torx clean out a bit easier and don't strip out as easily as allen, but they are hard to find in some sizes.

I'm a big fan of some of the KTM hex-bolts because they have an internal torx in them. This saves weight (like a scalloped bolt head) and adds a secondary "tool interface". I have no idea how well their coatings hold up though, KTM is the only brand I haven't owned. I am considering the idea of swapping out some of my bolts for equivalent KTM bolts on my project 125 next summer.

Torx seem to be a good idea their heads are not as tall as the allen standard sizes. Over here quite hopeless to find them in the sizes needed. I replace basically anyway only the seat, the shrouds and side panel screws and if I can get them the tank holder ones.

I would strongly discourage you from using stainless especially inside of aluminum cases.I used them on a modified Jet -Ski application and had more than one snap off inside of the cases which was extremely difficult and expensive to remove.As said above a good quality steel stud is more than sufficient.

I am considering the idea of swapping out some of my bolts for equivalent KTM bolts on my project 125 next summer.

Don't know if KTM bolts are as crappy as BMW bolts, but in cages, BMW bolts are really crappy compared to Toyota/Honda/Mazda bolts.