Sign in to follow this  

87 KX 250?????? Should i buy it?

Im thinking about buying an 87 KX 250. It is a 2 owner bike. Same owner since 88. Has been re-ringed twice. Still has original factory shrouds and graphics. Runs and rides. It looks pretty good from the pics. From what i have gathered these bikes made decent power, had good brakes, and the suspension wasnt too bad. Way better than the years before. Whats the good and bad on this particular year. I can get it for $650. The guys pretty firm on the price he still rides himself.

I've owned, rode and sold a lot of bikes, but the one I regret selling the most was my 87 KX250... It was a killer bike and it did everything VERY well. I don't ride motocross so I can't comment there, but as far as desert, sand and single track the bike was great.

My front brakes weren't the best, but by no means bad I think the single piston caliper had a lot to do with that rear brakes were very good. Power was impressive to say the least and it had a lot of bottom end. The bike was every bit as fast (if not faster) as the newer 250's I've owned.

One thing I didn't like was how low the foot pegs sat. They liked to make contact more than the newer bikes and my IMS desert tank was just too big for the bike as it felt like I was riding double lol :bonk: Really thats about all I could complain about.

I would buy another in a heartbeat. That said they were a one year only deal. 86 was different (and very outdated in comparison) and 88 was completely new. Which isn't' terrible, but it does make it a bit harder tracking down odds and ends..

Yeah, thats what kinda scares me. The only thing that carries over is the rod and rod bearings. I really want it cause its a good bike and its still pretty much original. Its gonna suck if someone buys it and puts monster energy stickers all over it and trashes it!! I dont guess i can save them all, but dang. Hmmmmm......