Sign in to follow this  

Rear Disc Brake Won't Fit

I recently switched the disc brake and sproket from my dune tire rim to my normal rim. I went to put the normal rim back on my bike and the disc brake won't slide into were the pads are located, I have switched the two many times before and have never had this problem. I don't see why it will not fit, it is driving me crazy!

:awww::bonk: :bonk: :smirk::lol::banana::D:busted::p

Did you compress the rear caliper? If not, use a large screwdriver to twist between the pads to compress the piston back into the rear caliper. Install the wheel, then remember to pump up the back brakes before you ride.

I did that, its hitting the actual caliper assembly

Is your caliper assembly mounted the whole way?

Sometimes you'll bump it while taking the rear wheel off, and it will come out of the track that it rides in, or it will just set crocked in it,, then it will do what you are discribing.

Pull the caliper assembly off by pulling it toward the back of the bike. Then remount it in the track, make sure it is straight. And the axle hole is flush against the swingarm on the right.

• Like 1

?action=view&current=2011-12-27_18-41-08_395.jpg

I'm not sure if you can tell but it will fit with the left brake pad out of the way. With it installed it hits the back part of the brake assembly and wont fit in all the way. Any ideas or suggestions would be great, I have done this numerous times and have never seen this happen before.

The left side is all the way to the left and the right side caliper is all the way to the right. It almost looks like the angle of the assembly is off or something

It's a floating caliper, push on it towards the wheel and it will slide over.

Was gonna say you useing the correct spacers:smirk:They push prob as you no into the bearing seal seating in the wheel hub slightly.Have you pushed them in allway?

Where are the shims, and it shouldn't make a differnece since I have already had the tire installed before.

You are trying to use the factory shims with aftermarket pads. Remove the shims and see how it goes.

I think the shims he's talking about are the thin metal plates on the back of the pads, but I don't think that's your problem...

If it's not the caliper needing to be pushed over on it's pins, I'm stumped... That's what always gets me, forgetting to push the caliper.

Just to clarify there are two places that parts should slide .

The brake pads should slide back and forth inside the caliper on the pin, and the whole caliper should move side to side (float) fairly easily.

Take the caliper off the mounting bracket, clean the pins with scotch brite pad, lube with water-proof grease, reinstall caliper.