'07 YZ450---Need feedback on "REKLUSE EXP CLUTCH KIT"

I'm about to buy one. It looks like a good deal it that you use the stock clutch assembly. NEED SOME INPUT FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ONE IN THEIR BIKE, WONDERING ABOUT LONG-GEVITY OF THE UNIT AND CLUTCH.

I race A class, and just got the bike. Setting it up for Enduro / Hare Scramble type racing, Desert and Motocross riding as well.

I had a ZStartPro in a '03 RM250 2stroke and loved it. I have always hated the engine braking and jumping with engine braking, stalling in corners or tight stuff, about 450 bikes (I've had a few).

Thanks

John

As a Rekluse user who races off-road (desert), I don't recommend the EXP for racing. The only reason for that is that the installation requires the removal of a couple of plates from the OEM stack, which in my opinion is short a pair compared to the '06 anyway. The clutch actuator ring itself is the same as goes in the $800 Core EXP, which is made as a serious racing clutch. The difference between the two is that the Core has a deeper basket and hub to accommodate a full stack of plates plus the EXP ring, along with its own pressure plate and springs, and a deeper cover to fit it all into place.

Ask yourself if you'd consider a racing situation with your manual clutch with 2-3 plates removed and you'll have your answer. Most recreational riders and even some MX racers who race more for fun than blood can use the EXP, but could you use a shortened clutch stack for serious rock crawling, that's the question.

The Rekluse doesn't do anything to the clutch that doesn't happen to a manual anyway, it just does it automatically. It won't slip the clutch any more than necessary, and unless you use the clutch harder because the Rekluse is there, clutch life will be about the same as you get with a manual.

Both the EXP and the Core EXP use the same setup. The clutch looks normal except for the actuator ring, which looks like a fat clutch plate and expands in thickness as the RPM rises to around 2-3000. Free play is set to normal specs, but only with the engine running at 3500 or better to expand the ring. Below that, there is no play. while running at speed, the clutch feel is totally normal, and the whole thing feels no different than stock. Somewhere lower than that, depending on your setup, it releases.

The "advantage" of the EXP or Core EXP over the Z-Start Pro is that the clutch feels normal, and the EXP's can be bump started if need be by tinkering with the cable adjuster. Other than that, the EXP is cheaper than the Z-Start, but I think I'd run the ZSP in your case.

Thanks Grey,

I like the idea of bump starting it so the Z is out. I am pretty gentle on clutches.

I am curious if I buy the EXP and want to upgrade it later to get the rest of the clutch assembly, that would be sweet, just to keep the initial cost blow down...

Thank you for the input.

-John

I raced for 1 full year on my 2007 YZ450F with a Rekluse Core EXP and had no issues other than rider induced:bonk: I would suggest getting the full Core EXP kit though over just the EXP disk.

Yeah but its $800+

Did you find a good place to buy from? You wouldnt happen to have yours you would want to sell me aye? :bonk: