Sign in to follow this  

It thinks about starting but no go. Help please

I have an 05 450x I got a great deal on. Had to push start it to test drive it because the battery was dead and the kickstart part of the engine case was broke off (the reason it was a good deal).

So I used PC-7 to fix the hole, dont have kickstart anymore, I'll fix that later when i have to get into the engine more. So it ran fine when I bought it. Fixe dthe hole and never touched anything in the engine besides that.

HERE IS A LITTLE INFO BUT FROM A FEW DAYS AGO.

Fisrt time trying to start is after putting it all back together it would run on choke but die in a few seconds without it. bought a thumb style fuel mix screw but it was not for my carb and never worked in the least. now i'm back to the stock mix screw.

SO HERE IS THE MAIN GIST OF WHERE I'M AT NOW. Now it wont start. It acts like it wants to when you give it 2-3 throttle pumps with the accelorator pump but never gets going. Fresh gas, new plug, cleaned airbox, cleaned carb twice and it looks good, has spark, fuel mix screw has been everywhere, right now its at 2 1/4 turns out, the washers and o-rings on the fuel screw are in correct also, fuel is getting to the bowl and the last time i took the carb off the bowl was full of fuel so I think its to a level to get up to the jets. Tried looking into the throttle position to see if it would make it start/not start and no luck yet. Figured it would at least start regardless.

Been taking the plug out and looking to see if dry or wet. Some times its dry and last time it was a little wet. Tried dipping plug in gas and putting it in and the engine hit at first.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just bought a used 05 450x myself,in fact this is my first post here. Any mods to airbox or exhaust? I was shocked at how lean (and hard to start cold) these are stock. Any popping on deceleration when you first rode it? That indicates a lean pilot ciruit. Since you are getting fuel to the bowl, try cleaning pilot circuit completly first. I ended up changing to a 50 pilot(up two sizes from stock) and jd jet kit to get sorted. I also cut the airbox and replaced the stock exhaust with a fmf powerbomb and q4 silencer. It flat rips now. I'll probably have to go back to a 48 pilot in the summer.

a little poppong on decel the other day, no mods and everything stock. I really think the pilot circiut and everything else is really clean.

Live in Auburn actually. You?

It could be as simple as the idle adjustment being way out. The first time I took my carb out for the major cleaning I didn't eyeball where the idle screw was set at during disassembly and it would not start until I had it close.

My immediate thought was a clogged pilot, but if you insist it's clean... Did you take it out and check? With a busted case, I would guess the bike was sitting for awhile?

I hope you got a really good deal on that thing.

I'll check the valves and go from there. It was further down my list because the only thing that changed was the carb was cleaned and reassembled.

We'll see. Thanks for the info!

Like Justin said, it is a clogged pilot. A 45 is the correct size. Replace it with a new one, not a cleaned one, and I bet it will run.