Sign in to follow this  

08 250Sxf rod bearing recall fact or fiction?

I am looking for a link or bulletin about this recall, if it is true. I have read lots of threads here about it, but I can't find anything solid to present to my dealer. I could use some help here guys. My dealer says they don't know anything about it. They ran the vin and said the is nothing about a rod bearing or anything like that?:bonk:

the recall is a fact, it only affected certain 2008 sxf 250 models. for any 250 that was ran for 10 hours or less, just the rod needed to be replaced. anything over 10, a con rod kit was needed. it was just basically a new rod and pin. along with this the replacement of the rod, a oil jet needed to be replaced as well. it had to do with proper lubricating to the rod and pin. if your dealer did ran the vin and nothing showed up, chances are that it wasn't needed. it would show a understanding tech bulletin on that vin if the recall wasn't completed by a dealer.

your dealer should be easily able to look it up on ktmdealer.net. hope that helps. the tech bulletin number is: TB 0817

Thanks Shayne_omac.

If by chance I am not covered by the recal. Do you know the oil jet size or mod.

Thanks

no worries. i use to work at a shop, did a few of them. they change the oil jet from a 100 to a 150 (770.30.058.150) thats the part number for the new one.

there has been a couple more updated bulletin regarding this topic, but as long as when your vin isnt flagged upon doing a check on the ktm website, i wouldnt worry about it. in case you are putting in a new rod, make sure that who ever is doing has the updated info regarding tolerances for installation of the rod and pin.

Thank you again for your help.

I took that information to the local dealer Saturday. He said he would have to look into it and let me know sometime next week.

Ohh i wonder if my 250f needs it as i bought mine second hand anybody know if a dealer will still do it for me

My dealer knows im the second owner of my bike. They dont care about that.

But they still have not told me if mine is covered. I will know in a day or two if warranty will cover it. They said ktm was closed last week and that is why i will not have an answer untill this week.

Well i got the word from my dealer this afternoon. They told me no. No recalls on the 2008 models.:smirk:

Oh well, off to order a rod now.