Sign in to follow this  

tt-r125le heavy engine braking?

Just got a 2005 tt-r125le and i was wondering if heavy engine braking is normal for these bikes. This one just seems excessive.

Edited by BunGhoLeo

If you're used to riding two strokes then it might seem quite different in comparison. Another thing with these bikes, at least I noticed on mine, is they are geared pretty low especially 1st & 2nd. I have a TT-R 125L, which stock has a 13/54 tooth sprocket set on it. which equates to 4.153:1 final drive ratio. I am actually planning on running one tooth up on the front sprocket which will change to 3.857:1. I've heard with this set-up you'll still have plenty of torque down low and have a little more gear on top. I'm not familiar with the smaller wheel version, which is what you have if your's is a TT-R 125 and not 125L.

Mine is a ttr125le. I got this for my son, and i seem to be riding it more them him lol. Anyway, I'm 210lbs and if i chop the throttle from high rev it dam near throws me off the bike. I've got a yfz450 and it's NO where near like that. I know from some research the flywheels on these things are like a lb heavier then what's on my yfz450. Just mainly wanted some confirmation, as i've never seen a bike with this much engine braking. Guess the good is the rear brake will never wear out. :bonk:

yeah its does seem that way, especially in lower gears, at least you know your engine probably has good compression.

This one actully needs a ring job, from the previous owner not running an air filter, as it has an excessive amout of blowby, and compression is on the low side but it does run. I can't complain to much, it wasn't running when i got it, and for the price I paid, and the money i've put into it, it's still 1/4 cost of buying one running.

I'll propably throw a wiesco piston in there to bump the compression up a tad, and maybe a cam.

I yanked the flywheel off last night to track down the starter problem. It's never good when i oneway bearing comes out in peices.

I still cant get over how dam heavy this flywheel is. I think it's gonna get chucked up in the lathe before going back on.

After you machine the flywheel, you can sweep up all the shards and melt them to gether for a great anchor for a battleship.

4.5lbs on the scale! that's 72oz vs a yfz450 at 36oz.

Still undecided if i'll shave any of the weight off. There are some advantages for it being heavy, and since i'm not the one this bike is intended for, it's not that big of a deal.