gas gas 200 vs ktm 200

I haven't ridden either of the 200's but I do own a 2010 GG300 and IMO they turn circles around the KTM's (at least the one's I've ridden). The 200 KTM's are lighter and taller in the seat if that means anything to your dad. They are both very high quality bikes but for me the GG would get the nod.

Iv ridden both, was considering the ktm, got the gasgas.

KTM has a much more pipey engine, likes to rev, makes ok torque, KTM is a big bore 125, compared to the gasgas which is a sleeved 250, I think they both make about the same peak power. Gasgas makes smoother power and more torque, revs up slower, has a lower seat height, and I found turned better and was more stable at low and high speed.

Depends which year of both bikes your dad is looking at, GasGas hasn't changed much since 05, changed slightly in 07, only been refined since then. The KTM has changed a few times in the same period. I rode an 07 and an 08 KTM. 08 had a very peaky motor and turned worse, 07 had a smoother engine and turned better. Both didn't handle as well as the gasgas.

They also have very different feels between the 2 brands, I found KTMs to be 'sit on' bikes that were very fat down at the pegs, where as gasgas is more of a 'sit in' bike and has a much more uniform feel.