Sign in to follow this  

quick gas tank question

ok, here is what im doing. i have a 96 kx250. began life as a 94 kx250. my original frame had the upper subframe mounts broke off and someone booger welded them back on along with whatever the had to make work. i picked up a 96 frame for a $100 dollars locally. anyway, i found two changes that were minor between the two frames.

Heres my question, i picked up a ims desert tank for a 99 kx250 off of ebay for $38 dollars. i couldn't pass it up. the picks on bikebandit between the 96 frame and 99 frame look the same. the problem i am having is the tank wont fit down on the upper frame rails cause it is sitting in the tabs for the plastic. can someone post a pic of a 99 frame with the rad shrouds removed? i dont have a problem cutting the original shroud tabs off to make the tank fit right. i also plan to use 99 rad shrouds. may even run the sub frame and all related plastic. not sure yet. but i do know i need a 99 seat pan.

any help or ideas will be appreciated.

im using my original 94 frame to see what will be needed for proper fitment. i can post a pick as to my tank issues soon.

Here is a pic of my 99 and a IMS tank.

IM000681.jpg

Ed

ok cool. ill cut both mounts off and weld one back on in the location at the back of the tank. thanks man!! that helps alot. ill also get the plastic first so i can locate the tab in the proper place:banana:.

That tank in my pic is the racing IMS, I also have 2 like yours and a bigger one yet and a Clark too. The racing tank is only 3.1 gal and smaller on top, the other IMS tanks (the ones like yours) fit the same as the racing one. And yes you will have to try to fit the 99-02 shrouds on it after you move the mounts.

Ed