Sign in to follow this  

How to kick start 450x????

Ok, I have heard horror stories about the kickstarter breaking the cases on the 450x. What is the proper technique to kickstart without breaking the engine? Thanks

dogdoc

push on the kick start until you get top dead centre

let the kick start return to the top

push on the kick start so the piston goes slightly past TDC , let it return to the top

give a good firm kick , no throttle , make sure the idle is set right

do not be heavy handed with the kick start , just push it thru the stroke

Don't let the kickstarter swing back up to do damage. Keep your foot on the lever at all times.

Don't let the kickstarter swing back up to do damage. Keep your foot on the lever at all times.

This is the key. The 'recoil' is what breaks the case.

If your bike is jetted properly it should start in 3 kicks or less.

Ok, I have heard horror stories about the kickstarter breaking the cases on the 450x. What is the proper technique to kickstart without breaking the engine? Thanks

dogdoc

Read this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525985

The key to kickstarting the 450x is not treating it like it's a 1983 Husky CR500. It doesn't require a lot of force to kickstart and don't let the kickstarter fling back. Be smooth and gentle. I removed my battery and was kickstarting my '08 for over a year without any problems.

I kick start a lot I just kick smoothly and leave it at the peg and then let it up with my foot still on the kick starter and repeat if needed. The bike doesn't respond well to fast wild kicks anyways.

Ok, What is the proper technique to kickstart without breaking the engine? Thanks

dogdoc

Using the thumb on your right hand, gently lift it off of the grip and depress the button just to the left of the throttle assembly. Works every time and no chance for case breakage.

You can get a feel for how firm you need to be by kickstarting with your hand. That shows you how much force you really need.

Make sure the transmission is in neutral

It doesn't hurt to pull the choke, if it's warm enough, one kick and it'll rumble a little bit, and then push the choke back in

Find where the bike is at TDC and releases spark without kicking firmly, then come back to that point the next time with a good firm kick. Should start with 1-3 kick if your bike is set up right. (Mine is 1 kick)

Using the thumb on your right hand, gently lift it off of the grip and depress the button just to the left of the throttle assembly. Works every time and no chance for case breakage.

that is what i was going to say.:bonk:

that is what i was going to say.:bonk:

urh, urh, urrr.... (silence) "Anyone see a outlet close by?":bonk:

Jim.

Very funny but that does not work when the battery gives up the ghost like the other day.

Very funny but that does not work when the battery gives up the ghost like the other day.

Sorry 'bout that. :bonk:

The bottom line is, there is no technique that will assure that your case doesn't crack and cost you a grand to fix. IMHO, it's a design flaw on the 450X's that is responsible.

You don't see this issue on 450R's or 250's, R's or X's.