Sign in to follow this  

2004 RM65 Suddenly Stopped

First post guys so take it easy on me.

I just purchased a 2004 RM65 for my son. I took him out to ride and it just suddenly stopped running. In all fairness to him it was his first time riding a bike with a clutch so there was alot of riding in first gear at first. But after about an hour he was taking off like a champ. He started changing gears about an hour and a half into the session. Then he was going and i heard a noise. It didn't sound really bad but it did get my attention. I asked him to stop and checked it out and everything looked fine.

He went down a straightaway and as he was making his turn the bike just stopped running. He tried starting it and it wouldn't kick. I went to him and looked down and saw that the oil in the crankcase window looked white. I knew then not to try to start it again. I did however check the compression. It seems to have great compression but there is a small metallic sound when i hand crank it.

There were some other riders there that insured me that it wasn't a busted piston or ring. I am looking to you guys for some support on this issue.

Let me know what to do and i'll get right on it. I am not going to start it or attempt to start it until i figure out what this is.

The guy that i bought it off of said that it was raced. He said that he had put alot of work into right before he sold it. But it is always my experience that when a dad says they put alot of work into it and that it was raced that it could mean that all the high priced racing parts where changed out with the stock parts so they don't lose their shirts when they sell their bikes. Anyway let me know what you guys think so that i can get this thing back into riding shape. He is fresh off of a CRF50 and ready to rip this RM for everything it is worth.

Thanks in advance.

start with side case and see if everythimg is ok,then take off jug and have a look at the bottem end, my bet it is the crank.They are well noted for eating cranks.

What kind of sound? Coming from were?

I would pull the head and have a look at the piston and cylinder, only takes minutes. You only need three things for it to run, fuel, spark and compression so if you have fuel and spark....

tribalbc The noise is a metal scraping sound. I thought that it might be the piston because when you move the kickstart with my hand it makes this noise. But then again i don't know where the milky look in the crankcase came from within minutes.

yamahonda400 Crank would just cause it to shut down while in the middle of riding?

I'm not sure where the water pump is on that model, but if the oil was white, it has water in it. The water pump seal probably leaked the water into the bottom of the case and then there wasn't enough to cool the cylinder and the piston heat seized. And the metal scraping sound could be the piston. Sounds like it's time for a new top end and water pump seal. And check the crank while you have the top end off.

Tailender i am going to tear it down this weekend. I hope that he didn't destroy the crank or piston. It shut down without any pre warning at all. I have pulled the spark plug and it was fouled so that was probably why it wouldn't start.

I just bought this thing right before christmas. And was told that it was gone through that it had a new bottom end in it, new rings, tires, etc......... But an hour of riding and it stops. I am going to call the gentleman today that i got it from and find out EXACTLY what all he done to it. Maybe he done something wrong in putting it all back together.

On a side note. When i tested it out there was no white look to the oil, the compression was really good, and it ran like a bat out of hell, just really sucks to have to rebuild one right after buying it but that might be where i am.

Thanks for the advice and i will let you guys know what is going on throughout the process. This weekend i will check .......

The crank, piston, waterpump seal, and everything else. If it does turn out to be the crank i might just rebuild it totally.

Any advice on parts that would make it fast and would last would be appreciated. As i am really new to RM's well new to Suzuki all together.

Maybe it just fouled the plug and shut off. But the white oil is water in the oil. Seals can go at any time. Unless, I don't want to say it, the cylinder cracked and let the water into the oil. Tear it down before you order any parts so you don't get anything you don't need.