Sign in to follow this  

suspension valve description/definitions/locations

I am looking for some basic clarification of th evarious tterms used for the different suspension valving components & locations on my 2006 Honda CRF250 with Showa twin chamber forks.

I seem to see several different names used to describe these assemblies and I am bit confused. Just trying to learn a bit more about my forks/suspension.

1). Is the valve stack that is located just below the pressure spring in the cartridge area referred to as the "compression" valve? Does this valve stack consist of the high speed and low speed stacks? Is this stack referred to by different names sometimes?

2) Where is the midvalve in a Showa fork located? Is the stack with the smaller piston & teflon bushing located on the upper end of the dmaper rod?

If yes, what other terms are often used to describe this (i.e. rebound valve)? If this is not the midvale, what is the component called and where is the midvalve located?

Thanks.

Here are quick answers to your questions:

1.) The BV valve stack on the Base Valve (The center part that unscrews on the top of the forks). The valves are located at the bottom of this assembly on both sides of the piston (not the floating piston beneath the ICS spring. The compression stack is on the side of the piston opposite of the lock nut. The rebound stack is on the side of the piston with the lock nut.

2.) The midvalve is located at the top of the damper rod in the inner chamber.

Just to clarify, Rebound valving is on the top side of the midvalve. This can also be called the rebound valve sometimes. Usually termed mid valve due to the suspension speeds it caters for.

Base has compression valving on one side and usually a check valve on the other.

To clarify the clarification a bit more...

The "base" valve is located on the bottom of the assembly that unscrews out of the top of the cartridge. The valve itself is on the top of the piston, which is fixed to the valve stem, and remains stationary as oil flows around it. Oil flows through the valve under compression, then back down through the aforementioned check plate without encountering any resistance as the fork extends. The base valve is the main compression valve, and is associated with the compression adjuster. In older, single chamber upside down forks, it was originally located at the bottom, or base, of the fork.

There is a piston assembly on the cartridge rod on which there are two valves, the rebound and the mid valve. The rebound is the valve on the end of the rod, just under the nut, and the mid is the valve stack on the rod side of the piston. The mid valve is a compression valve, but in stock form, it is normally not active until middle and higher rod speeds are reached.

What is the proper procedure for removing the cartridge rod to check rebound and mid valve stacks?